Hello from Kentucky

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mandi31, Jan 21, 2016.

1. mandi31

mandi31 New Egg

Jan 21, 2016
    mount eden, ky
    My name is Amanda. I have Silver Seabright Bantams, black cochin bantams, California grays, americauna bantams, and Mille Fleurs.
    I recently brought inside my Seabrights and Mille Fleurs. All are hens I have seen them all lay eggs. One seabright hen has a bright red comb like a rooster and sometimes sound like a rooster just learning to crow.
    Why?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Amanda

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid it could be looking and sounding liking a roo because it is one. Although some hens can crow and take on the role of a flock leader in the absence of a roo.
    Fingers crossed it just that but if you could post some pics in the what breed gender section I'm sure members there will be able to help you. Here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Amanda. Glad you decided to join our flock. Very likely if your Sebright is actually crowing it is a cockerel and the eggs are being laid by the other birds in your flock. Of course, it's possible that what you're hearing is not an actual crow but a hen singing the "eg song." Definitely post on our What Breed or Gender is This? link that Yorkshire coop left with you and let our experts there take a look at it for you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

4. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Amanda, [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here!

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello Amanda!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you join us. I hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us!

Ct

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If the bird is actually laying eggs - she may be a hen taking over the rooster position because your flock doesn't have one. Does she act like an Alpha chicken?

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by