Hello from Kentucky

mandi31

Hatching
Jan 21, 2016
mount eden, ky
My name is Amanda. I have Silver Seabright Bantams, black cochin bantams, California grays, americauna bantams, and Mille Fleurs.
I recently brought inside my Seabrights and Mille Fleurs. All are hens I have seen them all lay eggs. One seabright hen has a bright red comb like a rooster and sometimes sound like a rooster just learning to crow.
Why?

Hi :welcome Amanda

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid it could be looking and sounding liking a roo because it is one. Although some hens can crow and take on the role of a flock leader in the absence of a roo.
Fingers crossed it just that but if you could post some pics in the what breed gender section I'm sure members there will be able to help you. Here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC, Amanda. Glad you decided to join our flock. Very likely if your Sebright is actually crowing it is a cockerel and the eggs are being laid by the other birds in your flock. Of course, it's possible that what you're hearing is not an actual crow but a hen singing the "eg song." Definitely post on our What Breed or Gender is This? link that Yorkshire coop left with you and let our experts there take a look at it for you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi Amanda,
welcome-byc.gif

It's nice to have you here!

Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you join us. I hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us!

Ct

If the bird is actually laying eggs - she may be a hen taking over the rooster position because your flock doesn't have one. Does she act like an Alpha chicken?

Back
Top Bottom