Hello from Maine!

Wheeks

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
I got my first chickens last week after wanting to have "farm animals" since I was a little kid, I finally took the plunge! From the local feed store I picked up 2 marans, 1 easter egger, 1 austra white, 1 comet, and 1 barred rock. And then because I'm crazy and want a variety of pretty chickens that lay me pretty eggs (yes, this is the sole reason I picked out what I picked out lol) I ordered probably too many chicks from meyer's hatchery; 6 easter eggers, 2 golden laced wyandotte, 2 columbian wyandotte, 1 blue laced red wyandotte (rooster). And because they're cute, 6 Mille Fleur Bearded d'Uccle bantams. Now I'm just hoping (because I'm dumb and didn't ask) that the feed store chickens are mostly pullets, and I get a variety of pullets/roos from the bantams as I had to order them straight run as well. So far the feed store 6 are in a brooder, I believe they're 2-3 weeks old (they have their wing feathers and are starting on their back feathers), and the bar rock 1-2 weeks old.

I acquired a giant ice shack that I will be converting into their coop, so I'm definitely learning and doing things on the fly. Any tips on what a proper coop and run needs I would greatly appreciate it!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

Good luck with all of your chicks! You've chosen some excellent breeds. I've always enjoyed my Wyandottes, in particular.
smile.png

For a proper coop you need to allow 4-5 sq.feet per bird NOT including roosts and nest boxes. A proper run should allow 10 sq feet per bird, and if you have raptors or climbing critters - a cover on the run can be essential. If it's a solid cover it would give some protection from ice, snow and rain.

All winter we've been hearing how bad the snow and cold has been in Maine, so you need to think about that a good deal. You could post on the Maine thread to ask others what they do to get their flock through winter. Also what breeds are hardiest. Generally chickens can handle cold much better than heat.

Talking about winter is making me depressed. I better say Welcome to Backyard chickens now, before I go into hibernation
hide.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. You will certainly have a colorful egg basket. I love the chocolate eggs of the Marans. In my personal opinion, they are the prettiest eggs in the chicken world. Beware of "chicken math." Very few BYC members are immune to it. :eek:) Definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there than will keep your from making beginners' mistakes. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hi and welcome to our community!
welcome-byc.gif

So glad you could join BYC! Sounds like you have a lovely flock. Wyandottes and Easter Eggers are two of my favorite breeds/crosses. I just love the temperaments and egg production of the Wyandottes and the beautiful green eggs from Easter Eggers. I'm sure you'll enjoy all of the chicks that you ordered!

You may want to check out the Coops section for some information on coops/runs: Chicken Coop Plans For ideas on converting your ice shack into a coop, you may also want to post in the Coop Design section, here: Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance

Good luck with your chicks and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom