Hello from Minnesota

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cochaura, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Cochaura

Cochaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    East Central Minnesota
    Hello everyone!
    I have looked on this site several times for information and it has been so helpful. We are very new to chickens - we got 26 araucana/americauna chicks and one mystery chick in July. We gave 15 of them to some friends, so are down to 12. The mystery chick turned out to be a buff cochin and I just love him:) I will be posting a question about him after this as he is injured and I'll need some advice.
    We also have two dogs and a cat - everyone gets along really well. The dogs and cat lay around the chickens when they're outside and the dogs gently herd the chickens back into their area if they get too far away. I feel like a nervous mother worrying we are doing everything right and I'm concerned our coop will be adequate for our -40 days in winter and 100+ in summer. We are using an old insulated ice fishing house. I'm looking forward to reading more and communicating with everyone!

2. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    Hi hello and [​IMG] from pine city

3. dsquawker

dsquawker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Bluegrass State
    Sounds like an old insulated ice fishing house will be perfect. The only thing you may have to worry about is prolonging day light artificially with a light in the shorter winter days like we do. We live in the Colorado Rockies and its gets cold up here. Good luck and welcome!

Quote:

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG] from Texas

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Cochaura and [​IMG]. Happy you joined our poultry community!! Best of luck in all your chicken endeavors!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Welcome from Northern MN!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Hope your cochin gets to feeling better [​IMG]

10. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Hello from SE Minnesota!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by