Hello from Missouri-but moving to Oregon need advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Oregonsilkie, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Oregonsilkie

Oregonsilkie New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    SW Missouri for now
    Hello everyone!! I love this site and have been lurking for awhile. Thought it was time to join. I saw a similar thread on this subject but I needed more answers.
    My hubby and I are moving back home to Oregon (we leave April 2nd) from sw Missouri and we want to take our little flock with us. We have 5 chickens. 2 roos and 3 hens. We will be driving. We are going to build them a medium light weigh cage for the trip. It will take us 4 days to reach our final destination.
    My questions: I am worried about them picking up airborne illnesses. Should I feed them medicated chick feed before, during, and a bit after we travel? (I hope this is not a dumb question. We are fairly new at raising chickens)
    Will they need to have time to exercise? I feel like four days is a long time to be 'cooped up'.
    What is the ick factor for us? I know breathing chicken dust can cause health problems. I was thinking about placing home air filters around the cage to catch feather and poo dust and keep it form circulating around the vehicle. Anyone feel this would be effective, or totally unnecessary?
    And the final question, what is the risk of loosing a chicken while traveling? I know birds get stressed easily. I would hate to loose one. (They have totally stolen our hearts [​IMG] ) .I would be so sad to find them a new home, but it would be worth it knowing they would be happy and healthy!

If am missing something I should be asking let me know. I would love your input.

Thanks everyone! I am looking forward to your advice.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!
    As far as picking up illnesses it would be no different then them in your back yard from the wild birds that fly in and out. The antibiotics that is in the feed is more for upper respiratory infections etc. It would not hurt to place them on this type of feed. I would be more concerned with a hen becoming egg bound. Stress of a car moving and not drinking enough fluids. I would make sure that when you stop that the hens have a options to lay in a quiet place that is somewhat darker and make sure you give them foods that have a lot of moisture in them grapes, apples etc. even taking there normal feed and making a warm mash is helpful. I hope your new move is exciting! Good luck!

3. Oregonsilkie

Oregonsilkie New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    SW Missouri for now
    I hadn't thought about them becoming egg bound. I will try the things you said. Thank you so much for your kind words and for your advice! [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

x2. Whatever you're feeding them now, continue to feed them the same thing, less stress. You can also give them fresh lettuce to eat. You can use old newspaper to catch droppings at the bottom of the cage, then put the soiled paper in a plastic garbage bag and tie it off once it's filled. Keeping them hydrated is paramount, as mentioned by kidcody. Good luck and welcome to BYC.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given. Good luck, they should be fine. :thumbsup

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Good luck with the move [​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio...glad you joined. Best of luck on your trip :)

9. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC!

Keep feeding the same thing. New feeds will cause more stress then they need.

In my own opinion, I think exercise would be good for them (as long they can't run away).

It may get pretty stinky in there. I can't really think of anything that would help that. We have always traveled with the chickens in the back of the trailer.

as far as loosing a chicken, I don't think you will. The exercise and fresh air will help a lot.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  10. Oregonsilkie

Oregonsilkie New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    SW Missouri for now
    Thank you all so much for your advice and for making me feel welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by