1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pondviewfarm, Mar 11, 2014.

1. pondviewfarm

pondviewfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Hello All,

A few months ago I moved to a 12 acre property that came with a flock of chickens (16 laying hens and 1 rooster) and 1 turkey. I came to really enjoy the chickens as I was taking care of them. Unfortunately, a loose dog raided the coop and killed a good portion of the birds that were here. That has prompted me to start researching chicken care and productivity in more depth.

I'd like to get a few more adult laying hens from a local farmer but I want to improve the coop and the predator security before bringing them in. I'd also like to order some baby chicks to raise. On that front, I have cleaned out the garage and made room for a previously used brooder that is outside. I will be cleaning it and fixing it up before I order the chicks.

I'm really excited by everything that I am learning about the chicken keeping lifestyle and I'm glad to have a resource of other enthusiasts like this.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the loss of some of your flock. Predators can be a real problem. I can't free range my girls because of all the predators in the skies and lurking under bushes. You might want to do some reading this section of the learning center on the different predators and how to protect your flock from them....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock

Good luck with your upcoming flock and welcome to BYC!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the loss of your birds, good luck with a new flock.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck with upgrading your coop. That dog will most likely return.

5. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG] Hello and [​IMG] So sorry to hear of your loss. Good luck with the rebuilding your flock.

6. sunnychickfarm

sunnychickfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014
    Roaring River, NC
    Hi, also from NC Welcome to BYC!

7. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and Welcome! Wow, how lucky to get a new home already complete with fowl.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You need to make coop and enclosed run - fort knox - are you allowed to use electric fencing wire - to persuade the dog to look elsewhere?

9. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by