Hello From New Braunfels Tx

Update on Fiona. The vet said she has developed a bad case of gout and he advised that I put her down. So, today at 6:45 pmCST I had her put to sleep. Thanks for all of the responses I received here. You guys are great

Not a dumb question at all. He said that it was brought on by the food she was eating. He said it usually happens if you are not rationing or feeding them the right amounts. I am very new to all of this so I was just filling up her Feeder with a protein, pellet, and corn mix. I may have been feeding her too much protein, but she was injured and wasn't able to forage or go to the bathroom correctly because she was laid up. When they develop gout, he said they get crystals that form in the kidney and they then move to the joints also causing renal failure. I have a feeling that the sudden change in the way she was used to eating and the amount of time she spent not up moving about caused it. He said usually you'd cull the ones who have this from the flock, send some samples off to be tested and reevaluate how you're feeding the rest of the flock. But in my case, I only had one turkey, so no need for testing. He said she had a pretty bad case of it and she was suffering. Sad day here in Texas:(

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom