Hello from New Mexico!

Tucumcari Hippie

Hatching
Nov 17, 2018
I have no idea why I am just now getting around to joining this forum. Y'all have been answering every poultry question I've ever Googled for at least the last 10 years. Better late than never, I guess.

Anyway ... my husband and I first got chickens in 2007, after reading one too many Joel Salatin books. Over the years, we have had chickens, Coturnix quail, and Pekin ducks. We liked the chooks (especially buff Orpingtons) and the quail (bit of a learning curve, but quiet and relatively low-maintenance once we figured out what we were doing). The ducks were a good excuse to build a pond. They were not a good fit for our backyard.

We have no birds at the moment, but we plan to get another flock of quail next spring, because I miss having fresh eggs, and quail-egg sandwiches are delicious.

A year ago, we moved 900 miles from southeast Missouri to eastern New Mexico so I could take a teaching job at a tiny, rural high school. My life since then has mostly revolved around settling into a new home and a new classroom, but I've found time to paint three murals (one at home, one at a friend's business, and a very elaborate one all over my classroom walls), and I've got two more planned for the not-too-distant future. Before moving ate my life, I was also fond of blogging, photography, beekeeping, distance running, and dog training. I'm gradually easing back into all those pursuits, with a new blog on my to-do list for next week, a colony of bees on the way next spring, and an 18-week-old rescue puppy currently learning to mind her manners on the leash so we can train for a marathon together.

Well, well,
BYC-about-time.png

awesome.gif
Glad you finally joined, you'll be such a great addition around here!! Sounds like you've got some amazing hobbies going on as well!

I'd love to see some pics of your murals! I enjoy all kinds of art, but just draw a bit myself... my artwork album. I also volunteer at my daughter's school but the most creative things I've done there a few bulletin boards. Convincing the school to make a mural would be awesome!
snowman.jpg eagle.jpg popsiCOOL.jpg

Congratulations on your new home and good luck with all your upcoming ventures!!
:wee

Hi and welcome to our community. Many of us were long-time lurkers before joining :).

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom