Hello from New York!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by christinalvt, Jan 27, 2013.

1. christinalvt

christinalvt New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Hi, my name is Christina and I live in Putnam County, NY. I have never had chickens and am in the planning stages now. I have a shed that I will be converting to a coop, and attached enclosed run.
    I do have a good idea for the dilemma of making sure the enclosure is buried at least a foot deep to avoid predators digging in: you still dig a trench around the perimeter, but make it about 4-5 inches wide, pour concrete in, and while its still soft, insert fence poles at intervals to attach chicken wire to. (You also have to insert the bottom of the chicken wire into the soft cement so it cant be pulled up). This will prevent a predator from just pulling up the fence, which is what happened when I tried to keep ducks.
    Anyway, I love this site, it's very informative. I will be starting my coop building in the spring, then will look for a poultry farm near me to buy done chickens!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Christina, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you with us! Sounds like you are making the Fort Knox of coops! That is a secure feeling. Best of luck to you!!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Study the forums, make your plans, and in the spring you will be set to go. Welcome to BYC.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, I would use hardware cloth rather than chicken wire, it's a strong small diameter wire. Good luck!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] X2 Liz's advice. Hardware cloth is great for keeping predators out.

7. christinalvt

christinalvt New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks for the great welcome! Yes I agree about the hardware cloth, I realized it after I posted. I also read someone's post regarding the permanency of using concrete. If I ever want to pull up the fence, it will be hard to do. I guess I'll just dig down a foot and make an apron, reinforced on top of the apron with cinder blocks.

8. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Hello from the Catskill Mountains and [​IMG]. Best of luck to you.

9. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by