Hello from North Yorkshire, England

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kaeta44, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good evening/morning/afternoon - or whatever time of day it is where you are.

I've been keeping a small flock of pet chickens for just over a year. When I started, I had no idea how much time I'd spend laughing! They don't tell you that in the "How to look after chickens" books, do they.

I have Maggie, a Blue Orpington bantam who is brooding a clutch of eggs at the moment, Tu-Tu a Lavendar Pekin bantam who is helping her. Then there are two Araucana bantams (Rebecca and Punk); Fizz is a crested Poland frizzle bantam cockerel and Pom-Pom is also a crested Poland bantam, but smooth feathered - both lovely shades of honey brown & black. Our big girls are Irene, a Light Sussex and Titian who is a Rhode Island Red. In addition, there used to be Princess Fluff, a lovely white Orpington bantam - but she died after being trampled over by the rest of the flock in their rush to leave the coop one morning (we suspect internal injuries). In January this year we lost Queen B, a lovely silver Sebright who was in charge of everyone, including us. We've no idea what she died of, but we miss her terribly.

I found this forum by accident, but it looks such a friendly place to be, I thought I'd join.

Looking forward to making some poultry-mad friends from around the world. I've got a blog at www.muckycluckers.blogspot.com/ if you'd like to keep up with what my crazy bunch of chickens get up to.

Best wishes to you all.

2. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

3. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] this site is great!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. So sorry about the losses [​IMG] Love the pics on your blog [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] [​IMG] from California!

You are so going to love it here. Not only can you find out SO much information (how not to make mistakes, how to fix mistakes you made because you didn't check here first [​IMG] ) but you will be able to make some great "friends you've never met."

I could never imagine NOT having chickens again. They give me so much pleasure - they wouldn't have to lay another egg in their lifetimes (although I would worry about the hens if that happened) for me to continue to keep them and love them. I think one of the funniest things to watch is a fluffy-butt hen running anywhere, but especially if viewed from the rear. [​IMG]

Love your blog!!

Enjoy BYC and all it has to offer!

9. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    [​IMG] from NW Washington State! [​IMG] When can we come visit [​IMG]

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!