Rescued 8 YO Dutch Bantam

WetheringHeightsFarm

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2023
2 months ago, I took in an 8 year old Dutch Bantam Cockeral. His elderly owners both died. He was alone as his mate died a few months prior. So I took him in thinking he could join my bigger flock, which is a big no. Keos is so friendly and very handsome and we love him however, the big flock wants nothing to do with him. So he’s in the barn with the mini horses and enjoys my company when I go to do my chores. 2 questions: 1). He doesn’t handle the cold well at all. I live in NH and under 40 degrees he’s in his house all day, all night. We tried to keep him in the barn, with a heat lamp but he looks so tired in the morning with the red bulb on all night long. So he’s in my house. What can I do for this old man? 2). I’ve asked everyone I know who has bantams to see if they will donate an older lady bantam and put an ad out in my local craigslist to no avail. He needs a mate, but I’d like to get him an older lady so when he passes, I won’t be in a pickle again for that long or I won’t have a flock of ladies without a rooster. Where can I get him an older mate?

Attachments

• IMG_5398.jpeg
    IMG_5398.jpeg
    625.9 KB · Views: 25
To get him an older lady, you’ll probably just have to be patient. Or you could get a younger hen and integrate her into the flock once she’s alone, bantams can usually live with large fowl. A “larger” bantam breed would probably be best.

To get him an older lady, you’ll probably just have to be patient. Or you could get a younger hen and integrate her into the flock once she’s alone, bantams can usually live with large fowl. A “larger” bantam breed would probably be best.
Thanks for the reply. I just contacted my local SPCA and a small farm about an hour away that raises NH Red Bantams and I’m awaiting their reply.

2 months ago, I took in an 8 year old Dutch Bantam Cockeral. His elderly owners both died. He was alone as his mate died a few months prior. So I took him in thinking he could join my bigger flock, which is a big no. Keos is so friendly and very handsome and we love him however, the big flock wants nothing to do with him. So he’s in the barn with the mini horses and enjoys my company when I go to do my chores. 2 questions: 1). He doesn’t handle the cold well at all. I live in NH and under 40 degrees he’s in his house all day, all night. We tried to keep him in the barn, with a heat lamp but he looks so tired in the morning with the red bulb on all night long. So he’s in my house. What can I do for this old man? 2). I’ve asked everyone I know who has bantams to see if they will donate an older lady bantam and put an ad out in my local craigslist to no avail. He needs a mate, but I’d like to get him an older lady so when he passes, I won’t be in a pickle again for that long or I won’t have a flock of ladies without a rooster. Where can I get him an older mate?
if you want to integrate him get a cage or a space separate to your main flock and put all the ones who peck him in the separate area with only water and way less food than you would usually give them but just enough to get by leave em in there for about three days and then the main flock area wont be theirs anymore

Back
Top Bottom