Hello From Northern Indiana!

Ponytrainer

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Hello All!

New to the forum.... We have just recently become chicken parents to some pretty sweet "girls". Our pullets are 6 weeks old already (wow! how did that happen?!). We have 4 beautiful ladies. One of each:

Golden Laced Wyandotte - "Esmerelda"
Barred Rock - "Opal"
Partridge Cochin - "Ruby"
Buff Orpington - "Pearl"

Our 2 1/2 year old daughter is thrilled with them, but I must say although the idea was to have these chickens for her, I have become quite smitten with them. They lived in our living room for their first 4 weeks (until the mess got unbearable). So, we became quite attached to these girls. I believe they are almost as happy to see me in the morning as I am to see them - I'm sure it has nothing to do with the food and fresh water and more than a few hugs and kisses for each one!

Would love to hear about other's experiences with these breeds. So far, our Barred Rock is the friendliest and the least flighty. Our Cochin is not necessarily the brightest crayon in the box, even by chicken standards, she still completely freaks and overreacts when I go to pet her or approach their cage. She settles once I am holding her, but isn't thrilled about me touching her. Interested to hear if others have similar personalities.

Getting some really great info off this site and using lots of ideas for our new chicken coop/run that will be completed this weekend. Will post photos soon of our girls hanging out with our Sheltie, Garrett.

We love our Buff Orpington, Daisy: sweet, tame, friendly, and good with kids. Sweetpea, the barred rock is a "lapsitter". Our golden-laced Wyandotte is our least friendly, wants to be petted but when she is, she get very nervous. She is also the one who pecks the other chickens. Interesting how they are all so different, isn't it? Best of luck with your flock!
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from WA! I have a couple of Wyandottes and so far they seem pretty mellow and sweet. My rooster (about 20 weeks) is very calm and may actually get to keep living if he stays that way.
wink.png

I have one barred rock and she's pretty sweet too but has recently decided she's not taking any guff off of the other girls we have. She used to lay low and not draw any attention to herself but lately she's stepping it up. They're all just getting to the point of being old enough to lay so maybe the change in hormones is giving her a little attitude, lol.

I have two buff orpingtons and while they aren't my favorite as far as looks go, they are among my sweetest girls. Every night when I put them in the coop I stop and do a head count. One of my BO's always sits on the roost closest the "people door" and talks to me while I stroke her chest. She is my nicest girl and such a beauty.

Have fun with them! I wanted mine for eggs but had no idea I'd be so completely smitten with them!

Back
Top Bottom