1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from NYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jaceny, Jan 20, 2010.

1. jaceny

jaceny New Egg

Jan 19, 2010
    Just moved to the big city 6 months ago. Hate it here but that is another story. I kept chickens as a child but never really knew much about it. After much though and consideration I have decided to start a small flock and that is what has brought me here. If anyone has any suggestions for a small quiet chicken Im up for suggestions.

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Welcome to BYC! :) No clue about quiet chicken breeds. Sorry!

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    [​IMG] Welcome from Oregon, which is in the beautiful Pacific Northwest! I was born and raised in NYC and moved here 30 years ago. I love to visit the NYC and do every year or so but always need to get back to Oregon after a week--I need the breathing space!! We're getting our fist chicks the end of April so no real experience. I have read Delawares are fairly quiet though and great birds. Enjoy having chicks in the city! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    My little itty bitty bantam cochin is real quiet, and nice dispostiion.....follows me like a dog

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us!

6. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] from UT! Sorry, I'm no help... our chickens are all pretty loud.

7. Apprentice_egger

Apprentice_egger Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Morrisville, Vermont
    [​IMG] Well, how quiet are parrots, budgies, canaries, or any other "normal" house bird? Just don't get a rooster. I'd probably recommend a Silkie.

8. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    [​IMG] from Indiana! My Standard Blue Cochin hens are the quietest birds we have. They're very laid back and sweet.

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] from NC. My two bantam d'Uccles are pretty quiet, for chickens, but they do sing the egg song when they lay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by