Hello from NZ!

Hey, Kimem! Welcome Home! I'm going to agree with FlockMaster64 here. By 12+weeks of age, you should begin to see more comb and wattle development (or at least reddening) when compared to your other hens. Plus, I don't see any long hackle and saddle feathers in your pics, but you can probably see those better in person. I think breeds with smaller combs and wattles in general make determining gender in that way more challenging. In these cases I have to remind myself to consider the other characteristics that we can look for. In my most recent example, I got a couple of Pavlovskayas (a breed with small comb & wattles) in a rare breed assortment last spring and they developed more slowly that the birds I'm used to raising. So I kept thinking/hoping, "well, they could be hens" but finally, around 4months old, I noticed the lovely scarf of hackle feathers they were wearing. And you can see here, these guys still don't have any real sickle feathers to speak of, yet they're over 7months old!

So, I think you should take a closer look at your Americauna's feathers to see if you notice any differences there...but I think(& hope:) you will find that she's just a very tall, cheeky girl!

Hey, Kimem! Welcome Home! I'm going to agree with FlockMaster64 here. By 12+weeks of age, you should begin to see more comb and wattle development (or at least reddening) when compared to your other hens. Plus, I don't see any long hackle and saddle feathers in your pics, but you can probably see those better in person. I think breeds with smaller combs and wattles in general make determining gender in that way more challenging. In these cases I have to remind myself to consider the other characteristics that we can look for. In my most recent example, I got a couple of Pavlovskayas (a breed with small comb & wattles) in a rare breed assortment last spring and they developed more slowly that the birds I'm used to raising. So I kept thinking/hoping, "well, they could be hens" but finally, around 4months old, I noticed the lovely scarf of hackle feathers they were wearing. And you can see here, these guys still don't have any real sickle feathers to speak of, yet they're over 7months old!

So, I think you should take a closer look at your Americauna's feathers to see if you notice any differences there...but I think(& hope:) you will find that she's just a very tall, cheeky girl!

That's a very impressive bird NordicChick!

Thank you for sharing that Nordic Chick! I do hope she is a girl, we have named her and she is only our second bird. Mama hen is already broody again though so I have given her some fertile silver campine and leghorn eggs and am patiently awaiting some more little fluffy bums in a few weeks!

Thank you for sharing that Nordic Chick! I do hope she is a girl, we have named her and she is only our second bird. Mama hen is already broody again though so I have given her some fertile silver campine and leghorn eggs and am patiently awaiting some more little fluffy bums in a few weeks!

Oh, how eggciting!!! I hope you post pics when they hatch, I love lil' fluffy bums! :jumpy

We got 6 chicks from 7 eggs this time! 3 silver campine and 3 brown leghorn. So beautiful

Last edited:
Hello there, and welcome to the coop! I am so glad you decided to join the flock and I hope you'll make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

Back
Top Bottom