Hello from ohio

nicolekos

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 5, 2014
Hey, I'm new to chicken keeping, but I have done some extensive research. However research just isn't as great as experience. I have two barred cochin bantams given to me by my sister who bought them at a county fair because they were cute. They weren't allowed to keep the roo and do they gave us the both of them. My husband built a coop at his family business since we can't have them at our house either (residents/ unlawful...unfair) Our hen is a lousy egg layer and hasn't laid one since September 12 this year. They are so friendly though. The roo more so. He'll eat from your hand. I always wanted chickens and next spring I will see about mixing some standard barred Plymouth. At least two hens. 4 at the max. I can't wait!

Welcome to BYC! Sounds like you are enjoying your new girls. Before you integrate new birds with your existing ones, check out the Learning Center for tips on how to make that less stressful for everyone.

Nice to have you here!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

It is possible the roo is responsible for the hen not laying. Too much over breeding on a hen and she can stop laying. The proper ratio of rooster to hen is 1 roo to 8 to 10 hens. Over breeding of a hen can hurt and even injure her badly. It can also cause too much stress for the hen to lay.

Enjoy your new flock and welcome to our s!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your birds!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on that 10 hen to 1 rooster ratio that TwoCrows mentioned in her post. I've raised Cochins and they are very friendly and gentle birds, and good brooders and mothers, but they are not good layers. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom