Hello from Oregon

ArchersMom

Songster
6 Years
Dec 2, 2015
My name is Katie and I currently have 2 golden retrievers, one mixed breed dog and 1 cat. Hopefully we'll have about 6-8 chickens soon. I'm completely new to chickens so I decided to do lots of researching first. I'm planning to build my own coop, with the help of my husband. I still haven't decided which breed of chickens to buy. There's so many beautiful chickens and fun egg colors that I can't make up my mind!

My name is Katie and I currently have 2 golden retrievers, one mixed breed dog and 1 cat. Hopefully we'll have about 6-8 chickens soon. I'm completely new to chickens so I decided to do lots of researching first. I'm planning to build my own coop, with the help of my husband. I still haven't decided which breed of chickens to buy. There's so many beautiful chickens and fun egg colors that I can't make up my mind!

Welcome To BYC! Make yourself comfortable and ask any questions you may have. Greetings from Idaho. There are lots of chickens, each having something unique about them. What sort of chicken are you looking for? An amazing egg layer, meat bird, dual purpose, pet like, or exotic. Once you let us know what you're looking for we can help you from there to help you find the best chicken for you. Also you can have more than one breed of chicken and more than one purpose.

Last edited:
All of our chickens will be good egg layers and pets. I'm leaning towards Dominiques and Polish. Dominiques sound like the best bird for what I'm looking for, but I love the look of the polish. Especially the silver laced.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

All of our chickens will be good egg layers and pets. I'm leaning towards Dominiques and Polish. Dominiques sound like the best bird for what I'm looking for, but I love the look of the polish. Especially the silver laced.
Polishes got to love the afro. If you're looking for a friendly egg laying chicken I advise the Black Australorp. Excellent brown egg layers, hardy, friendly. Even the roosters I've gotten that are Black Australorps are very friendly. They can also make good show birds since they're so docile. Some excellent egg layers would include: Black Australorp, Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, and Sex-Links are the some of the top egg layers. Exotic breeds that are fun to own would be Polish, Ameracauna/Easter Egger, Silkie, Faverolle, Phoenix, and Frizzle are some exotic breeds.

Hi and a big welcome to BYC. I'm sure you will enjoy whatever breed you choose - chicken maths will no doubt creep up on you and you'll end up with a few more breeds in the future!
CT

Welcome to BYC, Katie. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on Birdrain92; Australorps are a wonderful breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle, and excellent layers of brown eggs. Black Sex Links (Black Stars) are my personal favorites as they are very friendly and hardy egg laying machines that consistently churn out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year with double yolks not being uncommon. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom