Hello from pa.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rktytorrn, Jan 23, 2016.

1. rktytorrn

rktytorrn New Egg

Jan 23, 2016
    Pa
    Hi guys. My name is becky and I have 5 wonderful feathered friends who are now a part of our family. Hoping to get a few more soon since we have raised these 5 and did pretty well. We have one leg horn and 4 buff Orpingtons. They seem to be pretty happy with us. We started with 6 and lost one in the beginning of winter. Not sure what she died from but all the others are doing well and healthy and keep on laying. They stopped only for their molt bUT picked right back up.

I look forward to learning all there is to know from you guys and leaning on each other for support! ♡♡

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC, Becky!! Sounds like a lovely little flock you have - can't beat leghorns for production or buff orps for friendliness. What breed(s) are you thinking of adding?

3. rktytorrn

rktytorrn New Egg

Jan 23, 2016
    Pa
    I'm not too sure yet but they have to be winter hardy since I live in the northeast and we get decent snow amounts. I think I may look into some plymouth rocks or easter eggers. My kids love our chickens and are always eager To Look For eggs

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] How did you make out in this storm? We've had 2+ feet of snow. I have to say my EE's are my favorites. Between the colorful eggs they lay and the amount of eggs and their large size, they are also both cold hardy and heat tolerant. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

5. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to our BYC flock, @rktytorrn ! [​IMG] We are so glad you joined us. [​IMG]

-Alex

6. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Rocks, yes! Never a better breed for hardiness, prolific laying, and pet qualities. [​IMG]

-Alex

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. Plymouth Rocks and Easter Eggers are generally docile breeds and Orpingtons are a great breed for children with their friendly and gentle temperament. Other breeds you may want to consider with children involved that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (good lap pets) and are cold hardy are Australorps, Faverolles, Cochins, Sussex, and Brahmas. Of course there can always be an exception with any breed. If high egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Becky, very nice to meet you. Hope you didn't get socked in by snow. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by