Hello from Richland Student Farms, Richland Community College!

RichieChickies

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Decatur Il.
Hello, my name is Anni and I am the current chicken lady at Richland Student Farms in Decatur Illinois. There are a couple of us that will be on here periodically. I really liked the idea of having a school page so that anyone who helps with the chickens, and had questions or concerns, could pop on and chat! We have a flock of 30 RIR's and are just introducing our small chick mixed flock into the big girls run. So far so good! Taking it slow and keeping a close eye. Any advice on keeping the big guys happy while the little guys acclimate? Thank you!

images

Welcome to BYC!!

Sounds like an interesting project you have going! I would bet your class is the most popular with the students!

Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! That sounds like an interesting project, hope it works out well! It is generally best to wait until the little ones are the same general size as the older birds, a long period of seeing but not touching so they socialize and get the pecking order sort of started usually works well, either splitting the coop/run in half or having the little ones in a cage inside the coop with the bigger ones. Here is a really nice article on combining flocks that you might like www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock
You might also like to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center And it is always fun to check out your state thread for chicken keeping neighbors https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/37/illinois

Hello, my name is Anni and I am the current chicken lady at Richland Student Farms in Decatur Illinois. There are a couple of us that will be on here periodically. I really liked the idea of having a school page so that anyone who helps with the chickens, and had questions or concerns, could pop on and chat! We have a flock of 30 RIR's and are just introducing our small chick mixed flock into the big girls run. So far so good! Taking it slow and keeping a close eye. Any advice on keeping the big guys happy while the little guys acclimate? Thank you!
Alright Anni,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center and plenty of post about most
everything you will need to know and maybe some of the students
there can wright their own ..

Nice project you have there ...
thumbsup.gif

Would like to see some photos of your work
jumpy.gif
D.gif

gander007
old.gif

The little guys and older hens have been doing pretty good together. We did lose a couple to pecking order scuffles. And one was just mutilated. We aren't sure what happened with him. It was really bad. But this is, i'm told, part and parcel. I hope to get my camera to school soon to put up a couple picks of our feathered friends. They are just so fun to watch...

Back
Top Bottom