Hello from Salem MA

wasakat

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
Hi all! My family and I have been keeping chickens in the city of Salem for four years. We're currently embroiled in the drafting of zoning ordinances (which sound pretty reasonable) and permitting regulations (which are insane as currently proposed by the board of health).

If anyone on this forum has links to data driven articles that can convince our Board of Health that chickens are NOT going to kill everyone via salmonella, toxoplasmosis, or avian flu, please send those articles my way. I'm desperately seeking some good, solid science to counter the many claims that backyard chickens pose serious health threats.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

I do believe you need to type your question into the search box for some results as I have seen many a people on here asking the same question and there are many articles on this issue also if you go to your state Trend I am sure there are people in your area with the same problem ......

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

X2 on Gander07's advice.

I hope you can find some information and convince your city that chickens aren't dirty creatures!

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have never had to deal with this so I am not of much help. But I would think you need to do some research on line here and gather up all the info you can on convincing them that chickens pose no health issues to the public and present that to the board.

You might also stop by this section of our forums, Local Chicken Laws and How To Change Them. You might find some helpful tips here as well....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

Good luck with this issue. I hope you can get this sorted out and bring a flock home soon!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

I think people confuse large flocks with backyard chickens. Local wild birds (crows, song birds etc.) are much more likely to spread disease. Small backyard chicken flocks in this country are effectively quarantined so how are they going to spread anything?

The Board of Health should first propose wiping out ALL wildlife AND pet dogs AND pet cats AND diseased humans (sounds ridiculous right?) before restricting backyard flocks.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

I think people confuse large flocks with backyard chickens. Local wild birds (crows, song birds etc.) are much more likely to spread disease. Small backyard chicken flocks in this country are effectively quarantined so how are they going to spread anything?

The Board of Health should first propose wiping out ALL wildlife AND pet dogs AND pet cats AND diseased humans (sounds ridiculous right?) before restricting backyard flocks.
Well (are you ready for this) our board of health seems to think that there is a clear threat of the spread of salmonella, toxoplasmosis, and ?? through run-off from back yard chicken runs during rain events. They are also of the opinion that chicken dander can carry these diseases through the air into neighbors yards and/or to passers by on the sidewalk (despite coops being required to be in back yards.) They aren't interested in listening to reason, so I'm hoping they'll listen to science... if I can find anything I can quote, that is.

Well (are you ready for this) our board of health seems to think that there is a clear threat of the spread of salmonella, toxoplasmosis, and ?? through run-off from back yard chicken runs during rain events.  They are also of the opinion that chicken dander can carry these diseases through the air into neighbors yards and/or to passers by on the sidewalk (despite coops being required to be in back yards.)  They aren't interested in listening to reason, so I'm hoping they'll listen to science... if I can find anything I can quote, that is. 

i know this is an uphill battle but you should be on the offensive and ask the Board of Health for scientific evidence of their claims. They should present evidence that what they fear has ever happened in the United States with backyard chickens. If they can not, the regulation they are proposing is unreasonable and not needed. There should be some requirements before unreasonable regulations result in "taking" of your personal property rights.

I found this on the web: http://www.ownerscounsel.com/Eminent-Domain-Condemnation/Property-Rights.shtml

You may want to talk to a lawyer in your area and see if a lawyer will write a letter to the Board of Health. It may slow them down or make them forget the whole thing.

Last edited:
Funny they pick on chickens.

Cats can spread toxoplasmosis to the extent that pregnant women are told to have someone else clean the litter box. I don't see any ordinances against cats running loose (who can catch or count them) and eating rodents which gives them the toxo. Cat scratch fever is no picnic either. Cat's always get off scott free. & so do their owners unless they end up in the news for hoarding hundreds of live and dead cats in their one room house.

Back
Top Bottom