Hello from Scilly

gdhp

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Scilly
I've been looking for an excuse to join this site for ages, finally have one, expect a pertinent duck based question on those threads soon.

Meanwhile an hello...

Name's George, 23 year old poultry keeping graduate living on the Isles of Scilly. A group of islands off the south west coast of Cornwall, fairly interesting unique place - best bit poultry wise is a lack of predators such as foxes. Biggest predators are domesticated cats and seagulls.

Anyway, our growing collection is as follows:

5 ducks, 1 (breeds are uncertain and based on matchings) Aylesbury, 1 mallard and 2 saxony. The two saxony males are Jocasta and Persephone and the two females called Spencer and Sharon (the joys of naming ducks before you know what gender they are).

Chicken wise - 4 polish bantam (Atlas, Zeus, Chronos, and Sita the chick)
3 silkies (one called Hermes, the others as of yet unnamed)
2 sussex type things (although not certain) called Babs and Bunty
and 1 weird thing that's small and black and we're not sure what he is. Also for some strange reason one of the local school kids called him Domestos.

Our chicken collecting began about two years ago when someone leaving the islands wanted someone to dump their chickens on - we, for a chance of scenery, took on Babs and Bunty. From there we fell in love and collected. Babs and Bunty are getting a bit old and frail (in fact Bunty is almost completely blind now), but all the rest we've had since they were eggs.

Anyway enough of a probably too lengthy intro... to the duck forums with my pertinent questions.

welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas, gdhp! Siciliy!
ep.gif
Wow! Sounds like a beautiful place to have some ducks and chicks! Best of luck with your birds and have fun on the forums!
yippiechickie.gif

frow.gif
Hey! Welcome to BYC.

I imagine where you live to be beautiful and romantic. lol. You should post photos sometime!

I will post up some photos as soon as I work out how to. You have no idea how grateful I am for the lack of predators, means we can give them a bit more room and not have to constantly watch the wires to make sure there's no route in. I don't envy poultry keepers in the wider world.

Had to chase a few foolhardy local stray cats away from time to time though.

Back
Top Bottom