Hello from shetland

Welcome from a very different climate. Sounds like you are surrounded by interesting animals. How wonderful! Please continue to share!
frow.gif

hello and welcome!

very cool to meet someone from the other side of the world, with so many of the same interests. My sister (in Alaska) keeps shetland sheep, and she and I both have working border collies. my sheep are in part decended from the Balwen Welsh Mountain sheep, although they're now living with me in Missouri in the heart of the Mid-West. and my family is more Scots than anything else... somewhere waaaaay back, we may be kin
smile.png

a pleasure to meet you!

Thought you might like some pics. This is a relatively calm day on the ferry looking back at the isle.
114499_cloud_sillouette_2.jpg

This is our harbour taken from the little 10 seater plane.
114499_da_voe.jpg

Here are some the foals being shipped out of the island for the sales. It's a 20 mile journey East that takes 2h 15m. Our sheep get shipped this way too, maximum of 80. Occasionally I've put a lamb out in a dog crate on the plane. In the past all the passenger seats were taken out of the plane to get the foals transported.....the advantages of having little ponies.
114499_foals_on_boat.png

The view SW from my window.
114499_hamnafield.jpg

The croft I manage. It is named Loch because it used to be one. Lots of boggy marsh on the S side, deep enough to disappear in. It is in much better condition since I halved the sheep flock and got the ducks to clear the ditches of weeds.
114499_loch_winter_2008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom