Hello from Sidney Montana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HarlansHollowFarms, Feb 2, 2009.

1. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Hi everyone, [​IMG] I have been lurking on this great site for a couple of months now, and boy have I learned alot about chicken!
    My hubby and I just bought 20 acres and a log home, and I need some chickens to round out our animal family. I plan to start building a coop as soon as the weather stays above 0F, by the looks of our local weather, it might be awhile:he
    I have many questions, as I have never raised chickens, one that I have been debating overis whether to build my coop with a natural dirt floor, or with a raised floor?
    My thought is to have a natural floor so I can use the deep method, to get great compoes for my garden, as our soil is very alkline and sandy. Also I am inclined to believe that with daytime temps normally below zero in the winter, that a raised floor my make my coop rather cold even with heat lamps.
    Please, give me your thoughts.
    Is there a type of bird that does better in these colder climates? I have been looking at the Amerucana, are they hardy enough, please do tell!
    Anyway, I will keep my questions to a minimun for right now, but beware, I will ask more...probably much more:D
    Anyone around from northeastern Montana?

thanks in advance
    Laura

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN I dont know much about Amerucanas. And I use dirt floors in my coop, but its much warmer here. Im sure someone else will be able to give you more advice. [​IMG]

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    When I pass on from this life I want to go to Heaven or Montana, I hear they look about the same. Lucky you.

Welcome Welcome, good luck to ya.

AL

4. chickenhousesplus

chickenhousesplus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Archer, Florida
    If you have a closed in area where the chickens can get into at night they will keep each other warm. It works for us in Florida but then again it doesn't get cold like in Montana.

5. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Whoa Florida![​IMG],
    Could you send some warmer weather my way? 9 F warm here today!
    I plan on having a well enclose coop, possibly even insulated, so hopefully with heat lamps they will stay nice and toasty even on our coldest nights.

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

So glad to have you here! [​IMG]

It looks like you're already getting some help with your question. Have you asked everyone in the "Coop & Run Design and Construction" area yet? I bet you'll get a lot of great advice over there, too.

See you around the forum! [​IMG]

7. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

8. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]