Hello from SilverCreekFarm

@SilverCreekFarm - A BIG BYC welcome to you! :welcome

We're sure happy to have you, and it's great to know you've joined ahead of getting your first chickens. There are so many great forum posts and articles here to get you started on the basic info- predator prevention (even in the city, this is important!), feed, health, behavior, and more. What goals do you have as a new chicken caretaker? What about those breeds stands out to you/makes you want to get them?

We can't wait to hear more, and see photos of the birds! OH, and best wishes on your education degree and becoming a teacher- we need more compassionate individuals to get children on the right track, honestly!

welcomeimage.png

Still looking at plans for a coop. Working on leveling the site, our backyard is all downhill! Would appreciate thoughts on building a coop.
I would try to keep the coop on high ground. When leveling the site, don't dig down, build up.
Put large overhangs on your coop roof and use gutters to divert rain away from the structure.
I like a fully predator proof run that is attached to the coop so the birds have 24/7 access to that larger space.
I have had a raised floor coop and a walk-in style and would only recommend walk-in style. I also highly recommend poop boards. I built my new coop and moved the birds in last Easter and have yet to need to clean the bedding out. I'll do it when the weather breaks and clean the entire coop. The coop stays clean by having that 24/7 access to the run and by sifting the poop boards every morning.
Consider converting a shed. That is what I did and it works great.
finished coop and run.jpg

I would try to keep the coop on high ground. When leveling the site, don't dig down, build up.
Put large overhangs on your coop roof and use gutters to divert rain away from the structure.
I like a fully predator proof run that is attached to the coop so the birds have 24/7 access to that larger space.
I have had a raised floor coop and a walk-in style and would only recommend walk-in style. I also highly recommend poop boards. I built my new coop and moved the birds in last Easter and have yet to need to clean the bedding out. I'll do it when the weather breaks and clean the entire coop. The coop stays clean by having that 24/7 access to the run and by sifting the poop boards every morning.
Consider converting a shed. That is what I did and it works great.
View attachment 2033663
Your coop and run look great! And love your hens! Thanks so much for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom