Hello from SoCal!

Jarrn

Hatching
Dec 13, 2015
Hello!
I live in the high desert area of Southern California. I currently own 5 hens - 2 d'uccles, 1 cochin-type mix (I think. I got her from an animal shelter), and 2 RIR (or mixes).

The two d'uccles are too young to lay, but I am hoping they will start laying soon! I got them from a chicken breeder out here as her "culls"- one had not enough feet feathers and one not a big enough muff. But as I don't show chickens, I think they are great.
The cochin mix (please free free to let me know if you think she is something else! I am not super familiar with chicken breeds =]) I have owned about a year and she has never laid an egg so I assume she is too old. She came to the humane society as part of a hoarding case.
The two RIR-types do sometimes lay eggs, but I have only owned them a month or so. They were given to me as "payment" by someone whose dog killed 2 of my chickens. I won't lie, I'm pretty sure he asked for the most neglected looking chickens he could find to pay me back with. They've had their beaks clipped and are just overall very unhealthy looking. I'm working on that though! They are surprisingly friendly and it is very difficult to make them stop following me around. They are supposed to be production RIRs but who knows!

If you read that yay! Time for pictures!

The only decent picture I can find of the cochin-mix (with the d'uccles as babies).

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

You have a beautiful flock.

welcome-byc.gif

You have a nice assortment of birds! The girl in the 1st photo looks like a red sex link to me, they are brown egg laying machines and frequently used commercially. I'm not familiar with Cochins (never had one) but maybe another greeter will come along to help out with her.

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

Thank you everyone!

And thank you to the poster who let me know that my RIR chickens were actually red sex links! I googled pictures and of course they are nearly identical! And the little "con" blurb on the BYC.com site about them eating like horses is spot on!

Thank you everyone!

And thank you to the poster who let me know that my RIR chickens were actually red sex links! I googled pictures and of course they are nearly identical! And the little "con" blurb on the BYC.com site about them eating like horses is spot on!

LOL, I have 3 of them in my mixed flock and they are chow hounds! They are a lot of fun though and lay beautiful very big eggs so that makes up for a lot. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

In case you ever give them yogurt, expect this look!

They really know how to enjoy their food, lol.

LOL, I have 3 of them in my mixed flock and they are chow hounds! They are a lot of fun though and lay beautiful very big eggs so that makes up for a lot. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

In case you ever give them yogurt, expect this look!

They really know how to enjoy their food, lol.
Oh my goodness! I'm going to have to try giving them some yogurt just so I can see that look in person
big_smile.png
!

Back
Top Bottom