Hello from South Carolina!! :)

Tania7120

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 12, 2012
Hello everyone! I am kind of new to the chicken world. I have always known others that had chickens, but never owned my own. 5 weeks ago I went to the feed store and found 2 silver polish, 2 golden polish (I think), and 4 easter eggers. I also have 4 pekin ducks and a brown duck (not sure what she is).

I made a small pen, but obviously it wasn't good enough, lost 3 chicks due to a raccoon. Now I am working on a larger coop with plans. First time I have ever built anything, but its looking good so far :)

Due to the raccoon incident, right now I have to bring the chicks indoors to keep them safe. The golden polish come looking for us,LOL.

Hi and :welcome

Your chickens are very pretty! Best of luck with your coop, and I hope things go well for you in the future. :D

welcome-byc.gif
your chickens are much too beautiful for a &*%*^#$ raccoon to have for lunch. Do you know if it dug under your pen, or climbed into it? First thing is don't use poultry wire, it will keep chickens in but, not stop any predators, they will just shred it. 1/2" hardware cloth is the way to go. If you can put a roof on the pen it will keep out raccoons as well as hawks. If you lay wire on the ground like a skirt around the perimeter of your fence - sticking out about 18" it will dissuade diggers. You cover the skirt with dirt or gravel or rocks .

Please read the sections on coop building and predator protection.. Be sure to check everything for loose boards or wire which can be pushed aside easily and allow predators in, makes sure gapes are closed with hardware cloth.

If you are allowed to trap coons, marshmallows are one of their favorite treats. If you are allowed to shoot predators attacking your livestock, that is another way to go.

Drumstick Diva, the raccoon got them right through the wire and pulled them through piece by piece :( This is why the new coop will have 1/4 by 1/4 wire this time and chicken wire bottom. I will make sure there is overlap on the sides and bottom. This is also why I had to lock up the ducks as well. She got 3 ducks while the ducks were free ranging the yard. She also got one cat as well. We are looking for a trapper right now, because the raccoon comes up on the porch and isnt afraid of us. As soon as I have this up, I will replace birds that were stolen, since the two polish might be lonely :)

Back
Top Bottom