Hello from South Louisiana

9 Little Dragons

Chirping
Aug 10, 2022
Slidell--Southern Coast Louisiana
Hello everyone- I’m Jacqueline from South Louisiana—hurricane country—in fact I live on the edge of a swamp so predator control, weather, and high water will my challenges here. Right now I have nine littles in the brooder, two weeks old. I am crazy new to this but thanks to this forum and some very good chicken channels on YouTube I started with a lot of information to rely on.

My little brood consists of 9 hens (supposedly). Eggers only. 2 white Leghorns, Lily and Poppy (Popcorn), 2 Brown Leghorns, Fiona and Sweetpea, Two Golden Stars, Yuri and Shota (named by my grandson), 1 red star, Lucy, and 2 Olive Eggers, Olivia and Blue. (Bought from Ideal Poultry)

Blue is so slow growing compared to the others that I burned up this forum looking up if I should be concerned. Hearing stories of runts that survived helped allay my concerns and now, in the past 4 days, she has come out from hiding under the brooder plate and joined the others in their frenetic chicken play. (My brooder setup is in a nylon animal playpen kept in the warmest room in the house, hemp bedding, mirror, low perches and all. Works great except for the challenge of them able to fly out now if I open it too much. But they do have happy baby chicken parties in there!:lol:) I already love these girls so much!!!

So on to a little more about me: My retired husband and I, plus our two dogs, just moved to a house and neighborhood that is located within the natural swamp system of Honey Island Swamp at the edge of the river that makes up the official managed borders of the system. (We are on a river inlet, so very swampy here.) It suits me because I am an aspiring Louisiana Life artist with a strong focus on wildlife, especially birds. I do see chickens in my future art projects now too ;) I’ve also done some graphic art, a little bit of writing, and am advancing so well in my Keto cooking skills over that past couple of years that I am considering a YouTube channel but not counting on me getting that brave, LOL. But yeah, I do a lot of recipe development. Right now, though, I am super focused on my 9 littles. I’m learning everything I can while Hubby and I are busy building their coop as well as an outdoor playpen as soon as the conditions are right enough for them to get some daytime excursions.

Sorry for all such a long introduction, but this is me.

So happy to have found you all.

Hello everyone- I’m Jacqueline from South Louisiana—hurricane country—in fact I live on the edge of a swamp so predator control, weather, and high water will my challenges here. Right now I have nine littles in the brooder, two weeks old. I am crazy new to this but thanks to this forum and some very good chicken channels on YouTube I started with a lot of information to rely on.

My little brood consists of 9 hens (supposedly). Eggers only. 2 white Leghorns, Lily and Poppy (Popcorn), 2 Brown Leghorns, Fiona and Sweetpea, Two Golden Stars, Yuri and Shota (named by my grandson), 1 red star, Lucy, and 2 Olive Eggers, Olivia and Blue. (Bought from Ideal Poultry)

Blue is so slow growing compared to the others that I burned up this forum looking up if I should be concerned. Hearing stories of runts that survived helped allay my concerns and now, in the past 4 days, she has come out from hiding under the brooder plate and joined the others in their frenetic chicken play. (My brooder setup is in a nylon animal playpen kept in the warmest room in the house, hemp bedding, mirror, low perches and all. Works great except for the challenge of them able to fly out now if I open it too much. But they do have happy baby chicken parties in there!:lol:) I already love these girls so much!!!

So on to a little more about me: My retired husband and I, plus our two dogs, just moved to a house and neighborhood that is located within the natural swamp system of Honey Island Swamp at the edge of the river that makes up the official managed borders of the system. (We are on a river inlet, so very swampy here.) It suits me because I am an aspiring Louisiana Life artist with a strong focus on wildlife, especially birds. I do see chickens in my future art projects now too ;) I’ve also done some graphic art, a little bit of writing, and am advancing so well in my Keto cooking skills over that past couple of years that I am considering a YouTube channel but not counting on me getting that brave, LOL. But yeah, I do a lot of recipe development. Right now, though, I am super focused on my 9 littles. I’m learning everything I can while Hubby and I are busy building their coop as well as an outdoor playpen as soon as the conditions are right enough for them to get some daytime excursions.

Welcome from lacombe

1660172597682.png

Welcome to BYC!! :) I also have a YT channel with some chicken stuff! I like your name, you’ll find tons of helpful info on this website!

Back
Top Bottom