Hello from Southern Michigan

Sarahdipity

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 25, 2009
I have owned chickens for about 3 years now. At first they lived at a friend's house since I was told we could not have them in town. I moved out of town and started again and have now lived with my chickens for about 1 and a half years. They are free range and most of them would rather roost in other barn areas than their coop, stinkers. We are working on enclosing the remaining part of the barn so they will not have any choices, but will take up residence in their coop. My problem currently is that I am getting NO eggs! I do not have proof, but I suspect they are eating whatever eggs are laid. I locked them inside the coop for three days and did not find a single egg. I intend to up their protein for the winter (they just get grains for the summer as there are plenty of bugs around here) and the local Amish said to put apple cider vinegar in their water to keep them laying. I hope something helps because they are not "paying their rent" too well!!

I have a conglomeration of chicken varieties. Hens include: Isa Browns, Rhode Island Reds, Speckled Sussex, Buff Brahma, Black Silkie, something white that I have deduced might be a White Rock, Cochin, and Ameraucauna. Roosters include: Buff Brahma, Speckled Sussex, Black Silkie.

I greatly enjoyed hatching my own eggs under my Brahma hens who were more than willing to sit several times last year and I plan to expand my Sussex population through those means this coming year.

I am glad to have found an online community were I can find answers and share epiphanies in this chicken adventure
smile.png

Sarah

Back
Top Bottom