Hello from Southwest Virginia. Anyone else out there from the Blacksburg/Christiansburg/Floyd area?

hveggeberg

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2016
Pilot, Virginia
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes, I am new to chickens. We raised 10 Red Rangers for meat last spring, but that was our first flock.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 35 Buff Orpingtons

(3) What breeds do you have?
Just one...Buff Orpingtons

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Since I am new to chickens (and farming/homestead life, in general), I've had lots of questions. After searching around the internet, it seemed like Back Yard Chickens forum kept coming up with answers.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Hiking, hunting, fishing, riding motorcycles, raising livestock, and (soon) farming.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My wife and I have two children...a son (17) and daughter (15). We have two labs...one chocolate and one yellow. I spent 26 years in the military, and retired from the Marines in May 2014. I am now trying to live a self-reliant lifestyle on our small (15 acre) farm where we mill our own lumber and raise chickens, pigs, and (soon) goats. We also want to begin growing our own fruits and vegetables.

I was born in Littleton Colorado. When I retired from the Marine Corps in 2014 we lived in Fredericksburg, Virginia. We now live in southwest Virginia...about 30 minutes south of Blacksburg/Christiansburg. We love our new quiet life that is connected to nature.

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome to BYC - great that you have decided to join us. Thanks for the introduction also - i'd love a property that size!

Check out the learning centre, your state thread for info that you may find useful, but equally importantly its the members that make this site what it is, so don't be shy in asking any questions you may have. You already have some experience and thats great, but I'm sure you'll find out the odd thing or two whilst you are here.

All the best
CT

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a very good and thorough introduction. :eek:) Thank you for your years of service to our country. Buff Orpingtons are a wonderful breed; beautiful, hardy, friendly and gentle (great lap pets), and good layers of large brown eggs. X2 on CTKen; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard chickens. Thank you sincerely for your time in service with the Marines. Hope you enjoy your retirement

welcome-byc.gif

Nice intro, thank you for sharing your story with us. If you have questions, always feel free to ask. There is a ton of information available here and a lot of friendly, helpful members so make yourself at home.

This link will help you find your state thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

It's nice to have you here! Good luck with all your plans.

Back
Top Bottom