Hello from Spokane, WA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mrsbos, Aug 11, 2010.

1. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    I just found this forum while trying to find a copy of the municipal code that would allow for backyard chickens in the city of Spokane or Spokane Valley. I actually live in unincorporated Spokane County where the keeping of chickens is prohibited. I'm trying to get a copy of the city codes so I can present it to the county commissioners, in the hopes of getting the county ordinances changed. In the mean time, I have a large 1/2 acre, fully 6ft fenced lot, where I plan to set up an Eglu chicken coop and get a couple of hens anyway. I already got the green light from all my neighbors, and my home owner's association doesn't specifically prohibit it.

Getting the county ordinance changed is turning out to be a huge task. If there is any one out there in Spokane County, I would love for you to get in touch with me and perhaps help me rally support for backyard chickens.

If you have a copy of your city's ordinance on keeping chickens, I'd love to have you e-mail it me ([email protected]) so that I can see how other cities have worded things, and have an example to give to county commissioners.

I'm expecting my Eglu to arrive any day now, and will be checking out some Ameracauna chicks at the local Northwest Seed and Pet store this weekend.

My 3 children and I are excited about having a couple of pet chickens!

-Michelle Bos

2. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] from Maine [​IMG]

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] & [​IMG] [​IMG] Good luck with getting the changes you need, if not, get your chickens & shhhhhh

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  5. SilkiesAndSuch

SilkiesAndSuch Silkie Daddy

Jan 27, 2010
    Mayo
    Hi and [​IMG] Good Luck!

6. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome! [​IMG] I hope youre able to figure everything out. That can be a pain. I'm blessed to live in a place where chickens are rather encouraged. Good old country towns! Good luck! See you out there! [​IMG]

7. stryeyz

stryeyz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2010
    north of Spokane, WA
    Hi there! I live north of Spokane in Chattaroy. I know this is an older post but maybe it's still relevant? What did you find out?

Where did you find that Spokane County prohibits chickens or poultry? I have found that it depends on your zoning and lot size.

http://www.spokanecounty.org/BP/data/Documents/ZoneCode/Old Zone Code Pre 0808/618Rural.pdf
    I'm not sure if you're considrered "Rural" though - you need to check your zoning at www.spokanecounty.org and search for Zoning. You also can enter your property address on the Assessor portion of the website and check what the actual zoning is. For instance my zoning is Rural Conservation (RCV) and I am still allowed to have poultry.

I'm still getting the hang of BYC so if you reply I may not see it for a few days...or whenever I check on it :)

Good luck! Hopefully you're already raising chickens with no problem :)

~Brittany~

8. ColbertCoop

ColbertCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    Spokane, Washington
    Hello Brittany, hope you're still active on this website! We are getting chickens in a few weeks and I never thought to check ordinances because I live in the "country" and assumed it was a free for all out here. After reading your post I checked the site you suggested and we are in the light green Resource Land area at the bottom of Greenbluff. I know tons of the farms on the hill have chickens (you can see them from the road), so should I look further into this or do you think we're fine? Also, we're on 5 acres. Thanks for your input!

Jennifer

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by