Hello from Sunderland UK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Carolinecarrots, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Carolinecarrots

Carolinecarrots New Egg

Feb 24, 2016
    Hello everyone, good to meet you all! We started out with 3 girls almost 3 years ago. Sadly we lost Gladys in November due to a heart condition and then Olive a few weeks back due to a crop condition. Pearl was left sad and lonely so we thought we would introduce some new friends for her. Our sweet little Pearl turned into psycho-chick overnight. The 3 new girls; Hetty, Flo and Nora are left in no uncertain terms as to who is boss hen. Pearl is strutting her stuff around the garden, chasing after them and neck pecking. Only Hetty is brave enough to jump onto one of the perches at night.
    I know they will eventually come to some arrangement, but I do have one concern... Flo looks like she may have a problem with her eyes. I don't think it is an illness but perhaps it is a disability. She keeps closing her eyes and not her third eyelid... it is the bottom eyelid. She can be walking across the garden and she just stops and closes her eyes. She doesn't seem to have a problem seeing as she is feeding well and keeping out of Pearl's way. I rang the place we bought her from and he said he would be happy to swap her!!! No way, she is one of the family now.
    Has anyone come across this eye thing before?
    Thanks all
    Caroline

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Caroline, welcome to BYC. Not quite certain about the 'eye thing', but hope that it soon resolves.

3. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Welcome to the forum![​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Caroline from another northerner marooned in Kenya - welcome to BYC [​IMG] Maybe you could post this question on "emergencies, diseases, injuries etc" - you may be more likely to get some help. In the meantime, you may wish to join the UK thread to meet up with BYC members in your area "UK members say hi" i think is the thread.

All the best
    CT

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Caroline from Yorkshire UK

Glad you could join the flock! As CT said you might like to pop by the emergencies section for help with Flo's eye problem. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Please do pop by the UK thread, the link is in my signature. We have some from up your way on there. Wishing you the very best of luck in getting harmony restored once more.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe she was injured by your Alpha hen. Do you have a vet that would see her?

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by