Hello from Sunny Nor. Cal. (Sacramento Suburbs)

Scott Welker

Chirping
May 8, 2024
Hi all. Happy to find/join the community. I'll start by answering the template questions:

1. Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
  • Not new. Grew up on a small northern California farm outside Nevada City, CA. About 12 years of that time I tended to the farm, including the chickens: penned White Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. Free ranging Bantam chickens; Hawk and Owl feeders :D. Actually, the Banty were GREAT for keeping down the insect pests - mostly earwigs - in our small orchard. After many years 'off the farm', returning to it. Building out my own VERY SMALL suburban farm.
2. How many chickens do you have right now?
  • 0 - Gotta' finish the hen house. Found this site searching for plans. Hope to adapt the "Downeast Thunder Farm Coop Plans." Thank you... ... don't see the poster's name(s). Just the 'downeastthunderfarm' handle. I appreciate the sharing!
3. What breeds do you have?
  • None yet. Plan to start with a mix of 10 birds. Some I know, the White Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. A few 'showy' birds my wife and son want.
4. What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
  • Eggs... perhaps meat. I also like enjoy the characters/monsters that are chickens. Their bug killing and weeding prowess is a factor too. We're building the coop as an integrated part of the garden for pest control, including a garden encircling chicken run. We plan to have the means to allow or block the ravenous eaters from the garden as and when needed.
  • ...when I say 'Eggs', I am CRAZY eager to try out egg glassing. Having been close to two sets of Grandparents and Great Grandparents (hardy soles), I can't believe I only recently learned of egg glassing.
5. What are some of your other hobbies?
  • Motorcycle rider, love my '86 Harley Sportster and 72 Honda CB350. Also a bit of a tinkerer builder; usually more tech./electronics than wood and steel.
6. Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
  • Have a wife of 30+ years and raised 3 boys. Six grand children - and likely still counting. Some love the gardening!
  • I perform systems and software engineering for a living. Wife calls me the "high-tech redneck".
7. Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
  • Just found BYC today. As I noted above, I found it searching for coop plans. I pope to adapt the "Downeast Thunder Farm Coop Plans." Joined in hopes of sharing the build experience. I'm not much of a carpenter. I'll surely learn some things worth sharing - at least with fellow newbie carpenters. I've pounded lots of nails in my day but always at my Father, Grandfathers, or someone else's direction.

Last edited:
Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

Best of luck to you with your plans. It sounds great!!

Might I suggest for the chicks your wife and son want, that silkies would fit that bill? That's Marsha in my avatar, and she's so sweet and cuddly, as are most of them. I have a mauve rooster, Piper, that's just too protective of them, so I wouldn't call him sweet, nor cuddly. 😊

Back
Top Bottom