Hello from Tasmania, Australia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JennsHensOz, Mar 15, 2019.

1. JennsHensOz

JennsHensOz In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2019
    N.W. Tasmania, Australia
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I still class myself as new to chickens although I purchased my first four bantams in August 2016. They were a pair of Golden Seabrights and two Duckwing Leghorns. Having got used to having these, I then progressed to Standard size and purchased a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Lavender Araucana.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    24!

(3) What breeds do you have?

I've now got the breeding bug and have Buff Laced and Gold Laced Wyandottes; Lavender, Blue-Wheaten and Isabel Araucanas and an Oliver Egger rooster with a variety of Pretty Hens. I intend to purchase a French Wheaten or Golden Cuckoo Marans Rooster to put my Olive Eggers to, to darken up the Olive Eggs I'm getting at present.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love their characters - especially the way they run down the hill of their yard to the gate as soon as they see me! Greedy little things they are! I also love the different feather colours and patterns and egg colours.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    No time for any others now, despite being retired! I spend a lot of time researching and learning about chickens on the net and Facebook. I used to breed Arabian Horses and loved their different colours also, especially Black, Palomino and Buckskin.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My partner and I moved from Queensland down to Tassie as we could no longer handle the heat and humidity. We sometimes whinge about the incessant rain when working outside but still prefer it to the extreme heat, which has worsened since we moved three years ago. The summers down here are a delight!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
    I probably found BYC whilst searching for answers and I saw a post about crossing Lavender, Wheaten and Blue and found the reply strange saying that most of the resulting birds would be black as I was advised they will produce Isabel, wheaten, blue-wheaten and Lavender, so having introduced myself I'll now go to the Forum and ask that question! But later - have to clean coops now!!

2. MEMO0011 (2).JPG
    Welcome to BYC ~ from that hot little state you left. :lau

3. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Hiya :frow
    Nice to meet you!
    :welcome

4. KLIL

KLIL Crossing the Road

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
  5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with your flock!

6. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join us! :welcome

7. Chickenclaw

Chickenclaw Chirping

Mar 4, 2019
    Australia, Vic
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Nice to see someone else from Australia.

8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
  9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Sr Chicken Wrangler

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Welcome best luck on the contest

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad you joined us at Backyard Chickens :highfive:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: