Hello from the Florida Keys

Keys Cluckers

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2023
Hi, everyone. I am a soon-to-be chicken person in the fabulous Florida Keys. I was raised in a rural area and am not new to poultry but never though I'd have a little flock here in the Keys. We are picking up the girls tomorrow afternoon and bringing them to their southernmost domicile to be lazy, laid-back beach bums like we are. We planned on doing this for a while now, long before eggs became ridiculous and were just waiting for the right time. Now I fear the run on laying hens will affect our choices.

Anyone have any suggestions for breeds who are heat tolerant, sweet, homebodies who are decent layers? I love the idea of blue eggs or dark speckled eggs. Our hens will have a nice house and run and when they're ready for it, free range of our quarter acre of gravel, mulch, dust, and concrete yard that looks as if chickens already tore it up minus the poop.

Actual locations in Miami, Homestead, or the Redlands with young hens for sale are a plus. I have a few places we are going to visit but I'm not 100% sold on any of them yet.

Anything to look out for specifically?

I do realize there are feral chickens everywhere down here but I don't like the idea of accidentally catching someone else's free-ranging hens. I called the bird rescue places who relocate Key West chickens and they told me they will only ship them to the mainland; they will not give/sell any to someone who lives here. So I have to go to the mainland to bring more chickens here rather than give some feral birds a nice, spoiled life here.

Thanks for reading this and for any input you can offer.

Back
Top Bottom