hello from the southern MO backwoods!

RiversideFarmstead

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2021
Birch Tree, MO
Hey all! had chickens when I was younger, decided to get some now that I have my own place out in the country.
We've got a mixed flock out here, 5 laying hens, 2 roosters, 4 pullets, and 3 duck hens. As of today, we've aquired a runner drake, 4 guinea keets, 4 ducklings, and 2 goslings.
I was also tasked with removing some feral chickens out on some nearby woodland so I currently have 2 broody feral hens, a new chick, and a clutch of eggs in a nearby, but seperate enclosure. I'll be retrieving more later, there's 5 more hens, 1 rooster, and I counted 25 chicks.

I didn't really mean to, but I seam to have become a bit of a poultry farmer. Got a line on some turkey I'll be snaggin next week (3-4 hens and a tom).

I've got an interesting setup here, 6x10 gated coop, attached to a 20x30x8 run. I house the chickens and ducks together, and have for about 2 months now with no issues except that my duck hens have decided the 12:30 AM is the time to nibble on my rooster's tail feathers. It's funny to watch on camera for sure.

I have the ferals seperated so they don't feel overwhelmed but close enough for everybody to get used to each other.
The keets have their own cage for now (it's an old mid sized rabbit cage, will upgrade later), and the ducklings and goslings have a large repurposed tote, though I intend to move them to a large dog kenel inside the run so they can get aquainted with everybody without the adult ducks bullying them.

I also have 2 dogs, and share a sheep pasture with my neighbor so largely they help me with that, but will also help me track down the odd errant chicken, and spook off local predators, which I appreciate because I've already lost my best layer, and one of my pullets to a raccon. No worries though, I took his pelt as payment. Another racoon was interested until I offered him the same deal, decided it wasn't for him and I haven't seen him since. I also would have had 5 keets, but one had a broken leg, don't know if we just missed it at pickup or if it got janked in transit, either way we couln't help her.

In my free time I like to work on tractors and small engines, and being medically retired at 25, I've found myself with plenty of it. Guess I couldn't stand the peace and quiet so I bought me a couple of birds... and here we are not 3 months later.

Back
Top Bottom