Hello from the suburbs of Chicago

the petgardener

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 6, 2013
Hello to the chicken community! I am learning chickens as we speak, and am the proud new mom to 2 Black Astralorp, 2 Dominique and 2 Golden Buff chicks - 2 weeks old today. They are growing like weeds and have been SO much fun so far - we are looking at getting the coop finished up soon.
Questions to the group that I cant find the answers for yet - - besides starter, what can the little peeps eat? and when can I start all of the fun things I am reading about, like kitchen scraps, fruits, etc. I realize that these are chickens and if they were in a barn right now they would be eating everything under the sun including bugs and all sorts of things (so a little stuff from the kitchen seems like it would be harmless???)
Would love to have comments - and thank you for all that I have learned over the last year even before I brought the "girls" home.

The PetGardener

welcome-byc.gif

Greetings from Kansas, petgardener, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! At two weeks you can start giving your chicks treats and others things in moderation. They like scrambled eggs, peas, assorted scraps (watch out for salty stuff which they shouldn't have) and they find insects very amusing. Good luck to you and your flock!

:welcome and good luck with your poultry adventure! :frow Mine love grapes and plain yogurt. I would sprinkle their starter on the yogurt to get the little things to peck at the blob, but once they figured it out....almost lost a limb. Lol

Thanks Redsoxs! I look forward to seeing what they do this morning at 'feeding time'. It should be interesting!
What % of their diet (at this age) can be made up of the extra things? Obviously they have their starter available 24 hours a day

Hello! Welcome to BYC!
big_smile.png
My favorite treat to give to chicks is mashed hard boiled egg.. they go crazy for it. I usually don't give too many treats when they are young though. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom