Hello from the UK!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tasha71, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Tasha71

Tasha71 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Hello all,

I am a new chicken keeper with regards to hatchling's and growers, but I do have 2 older hybrids that are 2 1/2 yrs old now, had since POL :) Hobby chicken keeper :)

I am always seeking info and help, and am happy to offer any advice that I can in any instance.

I am desperate for some help with my 6wk old hamburgh. Her left hock joint bends inwards, she also has curly toes, but the hock is swollen and very warm to touch. I have had her in a sling this afternoon, but taken her out at bed time so she doesn't panic in the night and do herself a further injury. She has had aspirin this pm, dosed to her body weight, and she is eating and drinking fine. Is there any way I can help with her leg? Splint it? bandage it straight? Here is a pic of her... it looks so uncomfortable for her.

Any advice pls? Many thanks in advance.

Tasha :) [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  3. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Hi and welcome, I can't help with the leg either, but there are some very knowledgeable people on the forum who can hopefully give you some advice.

4. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

5. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] Sorry, I don't know how to help with the leg [​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Sorry, I know diddly squat about how to help you, but im sure the injury peeps will be here soon enough to help you out.

All the best
    Ct

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is it at all possible for you to take her to vet? I am thinking since it is swollen and warm to the touch, it could be infected . Was she this way from birth?

8. Tasha71

Tasha71 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    Kent, UK
    No, not from birth. I noticed it come on after I moved her to a larger pen. She was always flapping about and running around like a headless chicken, pardon the pun, so I am wondering if she hurt herself during her antics. Yes I can get her to a vet.... Though chicken friendly vets are few and far between here :(

9. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome from Yorkshire UK

Glad you could join the flock! Being giddy could have caused this injury to her when she was moved to a larger pen, I'm afraid these things can happen. She could have just strained the joint or broken something in there. Is she putting weight on the leg? Keeping her confined so it has chance to heal will be needed so she can't make it any worse. Wher in the UK are you? I have a list of poultry friendly vets and may be able to point you in the right direction.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by