Hello from the Yankee in Rebel Country

Chica Lady

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Taylors, SC
Hi,

Just want to say hi and introduce myself. I am from Boston, MA and a city girl. Last year we moved to MS. I never raised chickens before, and so I have decided to get me some chickens and raise my own eggs. Times being tough and all..... So, 2 weeks ago, with $15 and a mail tote, I went to a local chicken farm and bought 6 female chicks and 1 male chick. I only had the intention of getting 2 or 4. The "chicken math" I've been reading about got me on the first day!!! I bring them home, set them up in the mail tote with the waterer and feeder that I bought earlier that day. A couple days later, spent $20 or so on some plywood and screws. My husband and I built a little box for the chickies. They are doing great. I change their food and water regularly. They are very easy to care for, and grow quickly. Well, a couple of days ago, a neighbor down the street found out that we had some chicks and offered us their old rabbit cage. Here I am thinking of a white cage with a plastic bottom..... My husband gets back with the truck, and what do I see in the back? It turned out to be a big hutch, not at all what I had in mind. Not a problem, I can use this when the chicks get older. Savings for me.... Score!!! Here comes more chicken math. So yesterday, I find out that my husbands cousin wants to give me 2 Roosters and a Hen. After dinner, he heads out to help him catch them. Comes back about 3 hours later. I got the 2 Roosters and the Hen. Then I find out that one of the Roosters is an old one, about 7 or 8. Cousin cleaned it last night and we had it for dinner today. First time I ever had a fresh backyard chicken. It was a little tough, but I figure it was just from the age of the bird. So tonight, after dinner, the kids were outside looking at the chickens in the coop. They came running back in "Mama, there's a egg!!!" Me, Husband, and Brother-in-Law run outside, and lo and behold, there was an egg. As far as I knew, she wasn't laying. Not only that, but if she was a layer, I didn't expect any for a few days with the stress of moving and all. And honestly, I wasn't expecting any until about September, when the chicks were ready to lay. So now, I should get an egg about once a day or so. until September when the chicks start. Then I'm figuring about 7 a day, or so. I'm also thinking that when the chicks start to lay, I might let them hatch a few out. Then I could have my own fresh chickens for dinner, once in awhile anyway. We'll see. I don't know if my husband will have the heart to butcher them. I certainly don't. Well, I want to that BYC for all the information, it has been very helpful. Off to check the forum for more questions to be answered.

Thank you BYC,
Chica Lady
jumpy.gif

Hi and :welcome

There are actually many more city people here than you might think originally. I'm one.

Congrats on your layer! I love fresh eggs. We get one a day from each of the hens too.

I'm glad you're enjoying the forum so far. Hope you can find everything else you need. :frow

Back
Top Bottom