Hello from Washington State

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

You've received some good advice already! Good luck with your chickens.

All these questions make me think of more questions! I am so glad I found this place because talking with people who actually have been there and done that is way better then trying to read all kinds of articles online.

So, does it matter which breed of rooster you get? Or can it be any breed you would just be making a new breed? and how do you get roosters?

All these questions make me think of more questions! I am so glad I found this place because talking with people who actually have been there and done that is way better then trying to read all kinds of articles online. 

So, does it matter which breed of rooster you get? Or can it be any breed you would just be making a new breed? and how do you get roosters? 

You can use any breed you want. If you wanted to have purebred leghorn chicks, you would of course need a leghorn rooster. Otherwise, it doesn't matter which breed you get. Roosters you can usually find people giving away for free on craigslist. Just make sure you get one that isn't aggressive and that you quarantine him if you go that route. Otherwise you can get straight run chicks and some will be roosters. Some also sell pairs of birds, so if you were wanting a silkie hen to brood and a rooster you might be able to buy a pair of silkies, for instance.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom