Hello from West Africa

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DongusEddy, Nov 3, 2018.

1. DongusEddy

DongusEddy In the Brooder

Nov 3, 2018
    Bonjour tout le monde,

My wife Janet and I (Don) are missionaries in a West African country that must remain unnamed due to poor security conditions and repeated jihadist activity. We have lived here for almost six years. We are putting some finishing touches on a small, walled mission in the capitol where we distribute baby formula for infants of mothers who cannot breastfeed their child/ren, usually due to their own malnutrition and to orphans or children of an absent mother.

Formula is too expensive for the average person to buy and is a non-sustainable solution. We are still in the planning stage for building our "poulailler" or chicken coop to give women eggs and chickens. We have built a "hangar" or covered slab with a concrete knee wall. We will add nesting boxes, a roosting area, and a common, enclosed area with food and water. The chickens will range free in the almost 6,000 sq. ft. mission with a few small buildings and open ground with trees and plants. I'll post a cad drawing of the planned coop in a future email.

We know zip about chickens other than what I have crammed in reading various books and material on the Internet. Most chickens in our urban setting run free and subsist on whatever they can find. This usually results in small, skinny "poulets bicyclettes" (rubber chickens). We want to produce fatter, healthier chickens.

We have more questions than wisdom and will likely feel our way in this venture. I am sure that we will have many, many questions. Bon journee!

(BTW, the first photo is an unintentional add of one of our composters.)

Attached Files:

007Sean, alexa009, cassie123 and 6 others like this.
  2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard Chickens :frow

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Don, welcome to BYC.

5. I am very intrested to hear more of your work and progress in your adventure.
    Bless you for helping these needy women and children.
    You will find lots of good expert advice here for your chicken problems.
    Welcome to the backyard!

6. N F C

N F C no time like snow time

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

What an interesting project you have started! I wish you the best of luck and much success!

7. DobieLover

DobieLover Free Ranging

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello Don and Janet and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    It sounds like one of your biggest challenges will be finding proper feed for all the chickens. Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

8. TheGirlOverThere

TheGirlOverThere Crowing

Apr 19, 2018
    New England
    Welcome to BYC, Janet and Don!:frow

All of us are happy to have you here, we always have enough room on the BYC roost!

Feel free to ask questions, there are so many wonderful and knowledgeable people who will answer them! :celebrate

Enjoy your time on this amazing site! :woot

9. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    Welcome to backyard chickens. I think what you’re doing is pretty amazing. Keep everyone updated on your progress This is a great place to ask questions.

10. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Don & Janet and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

What a nice intro

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: