Hello from Western NY!

BrockportChick

Chirping
Dec 29, 2019
Western NY
Total chicken newbie here!

We just moved to Western NY this past summer, and I'm using the winter months to get ready for my first backyard flock. I've been reading, planning, and dreaming for years, but never lived in a place where we were allowed to have chickens.

I'm planning to have chickens as part of an integrated mini-homestead (chickens, canning garden, bunnies, compost, etc...) on our well-laid-out third of an acre lot right in the village.

I am a priest in the Episcopal Church, married with two children and three cats, and super excited to finally get chickens this coming spring!

:welcome

The more planning and consideration that goes into growing a flock, the better prepared you'll be for the day you bring home those chicks or full grown chickens. One word of advice, get your coop built before you get birds!

Best of luck, thanks for joining us!

:welcome
It’s great that you want to get into homesteading! In addition to the sister sites (links in your introduction message, and at the bottom of the page), we have several threads here that you might find interesting. Here is one I’m currently active in.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/canning-and-home-preserving.1343016/

I hope you find time to share photos of your cats, future animals
and projects!

Back
Top Bottom