Hello from Western NY!

Yep, limit is 6 hens.
Any idea on the breed(s) you want to raise? I assume you will also have to keep them confined to a run. Try to give them 15 to 20 square feet of space between the coop and run.
I am in the Southern Tier of NY. I made my run as predator proof as the coop so I never close the pop door. I have a solid roof on the run, and the walls and predator apron are 1/2" hardware cloth. I recommend that for you.

Any idea on the breed(s) you want to raise? I assume you will also have to keep them confined to a run. Try to give them 15 to 20 square feet of space between the coop and run.
I am in the Southern Tier of NY. I made my run as predator proof as the coop so I never close the pop door. I have a solid roof on the run, and the walls and predator apron are 1/2" hardware cloth. I recommend that for you.
I'm limited to 144 square feet total, by village guidelines. My plan is 8' x 18', coop for the first 6', and run for the rest. A storage closet on the side of the coop will reduce the coop size to 6' x 6', raised 2' off the ground.
I'm planning a predator apron as deep as I can get it, covering everything with hardware cloth, and a full roof over the run to keep snow and rain out to some extent.
I'm thinking I will make a PVC pipe feeder that fills from the storage closet, and sits under the coop, where it's more sheltered than the rest of the run.
This is my first year in NY, (I'm from Utah), so no experience with the climate here. I've heard from locals that wind is really an issue in the winter, so I'm planning to make panels to place on the outside of the run to provide wind breaks when needed.

That's the plan right now. I've drawn and redrawn plans about six different ways over the last month. Hoping to start building next month, depending on the weather. Might have to build in segments in the garage, and then assemble outside later if we get a lot of snow soon. Don't want to be caught with no coop when spring gets here!

Back
Top Bottom