Hello from WI

WI chick

Hatching
Oct 29, 2015
northern Wisconsin
Hi everyone, I am new to chickens since May of this year. It all started when we heard rumors of predicted egg shortages in the fall due to the culling of millions of chickens in WI and MN. My husband and I discussed getting a few chickens to avoid the high egg prices. I thought, How hard could it be? First, have husband build coop, then put out food and water, and finally, collect fresh eggs. Right? It wasn't too long after our discussion that I was in our local hardware store and found out that the chicks were on sale. Buy one get one free! So I said, "I'll take four white, two of the speckled and two of the black chicks, please." At $2.60 a piece I was going to have a lot of cheap eggs! Well, almost 6 months later, and many visits to BYC trying to find out answers to questions such as when are they going to start laying eggs? Why do I find yolks under the roost? What do I do about the awful smell that chicken dung creates? and why is my hen pacing? and the list goes on... I am now a chicken lover and have to be careful not to always be telling my latest chicken tales to friends and family lest they think I'm now a chicken freak. But here at BYC, I see I am not alone. There are a lot of chicken freaks out there just like me! :hugs Lori

PS "the four white" turned out to be Delaware Whites. "The two speckled" I later found out are Silver laced Wyandottes and "the two black" are also Wyandottes.:)

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! It sounds like you are really enjoying your chicken adventures. I'm so pleased to hear BYC has helped you so much already. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Your most certainly not alone with being chicken crazy here!! All the chicken chat you can imagine is here and no one will think you crazy!!

Good luck for the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock chicken spoken here frequently. Glad you joined us
celebrate.gif

Hi Lori,
welcome-byc.gif

So glad you decided to join us.
You've come to the right place - it's so nice to be able to share time with other Chicken Freaks
D.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Always room for another chicken fanatic here...we'll never tell you that you talk too much about your birds, show too many pictures, or have too many chickens. In fact, we're pretty much the opposite of all that.

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom