Hello from WI

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WI chick, Oct 31, 2015.

1. WI chick

WI chick New Egg

Oct 29, 2015
    northern Wisconsin
    Hi everyone, I am new to chickens since May of this year. It all started when we heard rumors of predicted egg shortages in the fall due to the culling of millions of chickens in WI and MN. My husband and I discussed getting a few chickens to avoid the high egg prices. I thought, How hard could it be? First, have husband build coop, then put out food and water, and finally, collect fresh eggs. Right? It wasn't too long after our discussion that I was in our local hardware store and found out that the chicks were on sale. Buy one get one free! So I said, "I'll take four white, two of the speckled and two of the black chicks, please." At $2.60 a piece I was going to have a lot of cheap eggs! Well, almost 6 months later, and many visits to BYC trying to find out answers to questions such as when are they going to start laying eggs? Why do I find yolks under the roost? What do I do about the awful smell that chicken dung creates? and why is my hen pacing? and the list goes on... I am now a chicken lover and have to be careful not to always be telling my latest chicken tales to friends and family lest they think I'm now a chicken freak. But here at BYC, I see I am not alone. There are a lot of chicken freaks out there just like me! :hugs Lori

PS "the four white" turned out to be Delaware Whites. "The two speckled" I later found out are Silver laced Wyandottes and "the two black" are also Wyandottes.:)

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! It sounds like you are really enjoying your chicken adventures. I'm so pleased to hear BYC has helped you so much already. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Your most certainly not alone with being chicken crazy here!! All the chicken chat you can imagine is here and no one will think you crazy!!

Good luck for the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock chicken spoken here frequently. Glad you joined us [​IMG]

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Lori. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hi Lori, [​IMG]

So glad you decided to join us.
    You've come to the right place - it's so nice to be able to share time with other Chicken Freaks [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Always room for another chicken fanatic here...we'll never tell you that you talk too much about your birds, show too many pictures, or have too many chickens. In fact, we're pretty much the opposite of all that.

Thanks for joining us!

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by