Hello from Wisconsin

anthonyjames

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Port Washington, WI
Hi all,

I am brand spanking new to raising chickens. I have been doing some research and still not sure of everything. Wondering if I could get some guidance.

I live in southeastern WI. I am on an acre of land and it buts up against a 100 acre farm field that rotates between corn and alfalfa.

I have been looking at coops with runs attached that I can move. I am not sure if I need them or not. If I let them free range what is the distance hens will move away from the coop? I want to make sure they stay in my yard and do not go into my neighbors. Or do I just move the run foward the size of it every day?

Also, the winters here are brutally cold. What is done to keep them warm and do they still use the runs in the winter time?

I have a dog, 3 cats, 2 girls 4 and 3. I want something that is very kid friendly as my girls want to help raise them and collect eggs.

Thanks. I am sure more questions will come.

Anthony

Welcome Anthony,

Anywhere near Racine?

You are going to want a nice insulated coop. (I attended Marquette for four years so I know what the frozen wasteland we call Wisconsin can be like in the winter)

Chickens can range up to a quarter mile in my experience. If you want them to be safe, you'll put them in a covered run.

I don't know of many chickens who would spend much time outside in WI in the winter!!

Howdy!

Free ranging is great, but only if you can put them back into a coop at night. Predator attacks are way too common to let them free range without a coop. And everyday, they venture farther and farther away from the coop. My in-laws live on 15 acres and they couldn't figure out why people on the highway were honking their horns...their chickens had crossed the road.

The best thing you can probably do is give them a large run.

Insulating the coop is a good idea. Some people also use heat lamps in the winter. I personally don't use heat lamps, I just have an insulated coop. The birds huddle together and stay warm. Just make sure you buy a breed that tolerates the cold. My birds didn't really use their run when there was snow in it.

Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio! You've come to the best place for information!

hi and welcome..

I am in Wausau..

check in at wisconsin cheeseheads under where am i where are you ??

I freerange early spring and summer.. about mid june I start keeping the birds in pens because that is when the foxes get really bold..

you will find that everything loves your chickens..

Back
Top Bottom