Hello guys...I'm new here. :)

MoonGoddess

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Philly, PA
Hi everyone,
I love that there is this forum! I just bought my first chicks three days ago. I got three Production Reds and two Plymouth Rocks. I bought them both based on temperment as well as egg laying. I know the Plymouths aren't as productive but I was told they are very pleasant pets. The chicks are adorable!

I am now keeping them in a 30 gal aquarium with a red 100 watt bulb at one end.
I'm using timothy hay on the bottom...I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this. I was using pine shavings, but it appeared like they were eating it and it made me nervous, so I changed it out. Regardless of anything I have been making sure it stays very dry.
I have a chick waterer, (the mason jar screwed into the plastic base) and a galvanized feeder and I am using a medicated chick starter.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on how long I should be handling them a day to get them to be fond of us. Right now we have been letting them run around our bedroom for about 1- 1 1/2 hours a day. We try to handle them a lot during this time by gently picking them up and stroking their fuzzy little feathers...though they still aren't altogether keen on it. Though once in a while we can get a few to snuggle down in our hands or laps and take a nap.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I also was wondering if anyone had any experience with chickens and pigs living together...I have one pot belly right now, but I am getting a second when his mother gives birth again. I was wondering if it was ok to let them run around in the same section of yard, or if I should keep them seperated.

Are local outside cats considered predators for full grown adult chickens? I sort of thought they were and felt maybe they should have an enclosed pen/run attached to the coop. Though I'd prefer to let them be free range.Though there really quite a lot of cats running around here. I do know there are racoons and 'possums in the area, but most people who free range just lock the coop at night, correct?

Does anyone here use organic feed? I am trying to decide what feed is the best and if I should go organic or not. Is there an enormous difference in the feed price? My local feed store doesn't sell it, so I would have to pay shipping costs as well.

Also, I live in Philadelphia PA. I haven't built my coop yet, and I was wondering if I should include some sort of heating in it. Is just a light like suggested going to actually work in my area? I would assume it's too cold here, right?

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my into, and answering any of my questions!
smile.png

~Jennifer

Time, patience and in a few weeks some TREATS will be the way to those chicken hearts. They may go through a stage where they run from you like the devil himself. That is normal for chicks so be prepared and don't worry, it will pass.

If your pot bellied is not aggressive they can run in the same yard when the chicks get much older.

Cats can be a danger to chickens. Most tend to leave full grown chickens alone. Chicks are like lunch to them. People who freerange tend to lock the chickens up for safety at night.

I use organic feeds. It is about 25% more per bag. I am sure others in your area on this board will be able to help locate feed in your area so you don't have shipping issues. Remember that when chickens freerange their normal feed consumption will go to less than half if they have lots of bugs grass and seed around your place.

Heat lights work fine for cold winters even in Canada. What is cold to us is not cold to a chicken. They are actually stressed more by heat.

I sort of thought they were and felt maybe they should have an enclosed pen/run attached to the coop. Though I'd prefer to let them be free range.

They can still be considered Free Range if the enclosed pen is large enough!
big_smile.png
Plus, they're safe!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on how long I should be handling them a day to get them to be fond of us.

I really dont think you can OVER-handle them. With my two children, the chicks were almost constantly picked up and loved on.
tongue.png
Now, this happens when we go into the coop:

Chicks5weeksold041.jpg

Be sure to kiss your chickens too!
big_smile.png

Chicks5weeksold019.jpg

Hi & welcome to BYC ... I can give ya some advice about the free ranging. I've got 60 or so that range & we have about 17 cats
roll.png
Anyways, I don't let my babies range on their own till they were about 2 months old.I usually keep a squirt bottle handy if the cats want to chase them. Now all of our cats are older & know better than messing with the chickens. I stay at home & keep an eye out on my flock during the day & I have two dogs patrol the property. I lock up my chickens at night.
Alot depends on where live,predators,hawks,loose dogs etc. You can let them range part time when you're home. Ranging really saves on my feed bill for sure.
smile.png

I hope that helps ya out some, Miriam

I agree with 4H kids and mom: I don't think you can over handle them. Just make sure they're not getting chilled. Kstaven is right, too, in that in a few weeks treats will help, too. I can't find organic feed in my area. I wouldn't think it would be a problem so much where you are, but if it turns out you just can't find it, keep in mind you may be able to cut down on shipping costs by splitting them with someone else in your area who wants organic feed, too.

Welcome and good luck!

smile.png

Thanks so much for your answers.
big_smile.png

I really appreciate you taking the time. I love my new babies. God they're sweet.
Did anyone have any thoughts on the timothy hay? :|

Back
Top Bottom