HELLO! HELLO! Newbie here in south west Missouri

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Roxannemc, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Hello All Chicken Oldies and Newbies like me
    I have a million questions also but for now will introduce myself
    A city/county girl all my life the last 15 years I have lived on 8 3/4 acres and my closest neighbors are cows.No REAL COWS!!! here . in the country and raise English Mastiffs and couple Chihuahuas as well.
    I am a grandma of 6 from 14yrs to 9 months,Retired.

How i came to be on here introducing myself, .(A shock to me too)

One day I realized i had a whole lotta chicken things in my house ,didnt really realize how much i did like the look of chickens
    The last few years was thinking about getting a few live ones as the ticks in spring are unbelievable and i dont like poisons .But didnt beacuse I worry about preditors as i have woods and fields and lots of hawks.. When i put my Chis out in their covered run for some fresh air the hawks come flying over licking their lips.(if they had lips)

UNtil this year i have resisted the little cute chicks at the farm centers wishing to get some but worrying the hawks will get them when grown but this year...Just saw on tv so many city folks are getting chickens, next day i happen to drop into the farm center and there they were peeping away.So Just Plain FATE calling me
    I am an animal softy and all baby things melt my heart.....I was responsible this time tryed not to go whole hog too quickly.... i bought only a book that day.ONE BOOK...... but my enthusiasm took hold and couldnt wait unti 8 am came to run and buy some chicks
    Hope i dont kill them off.I am reading all i can find

I picked the breeds for weather hardiness, as we get very cold and very hot here... dociility and eggs...Buff Orps, Brahamas and Americuana for the colored eggs were my picks
    Bought all but the Brahmas couildnt find one... but did get 2 "barred Rocks.."
    So now here i am with real farm animals and a total newbie on chickens other then thinking they look pretty free ranging out here in yards as i drive passed.I will be on here a LOT i can tell. Next post I will tell what i have to work with here and ask many questions Thanks for being here
    Roxanne

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I'm an animal softy too.... just can't live down the chick days!! [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC Roxanne! [​IMG]

I've had hawks come also, just make sure the chicks are in a covered coop, with shade/trees.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Welcome!! I am a new chicken mama also, and my two buff orps are just the best snugglers! Good luck with them all!

4. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome Rox & Aero!!!!
    [​IMG]

Enjoy those chicks!

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome from Louisiana! [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck with your chicks. :thumbsup

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    A big crow of hello from Stan the Man!

[​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern michigan :D

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by