Hello hello

darrenandhelen

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
Hi all, we're new to chicken keeping and this tread, got a little problem with a buff sussex hen, she is in moult and you can see a large bulge on her back end just below the vent, we're thinking she has an egg stuck as she ain't layed in 3 days and now seems not with it at all, I've got her in a covered cage with warm water underneath trying steam method, are we thinking and doing the right thing?

Hi all, we're new to chicken keeping and this tread, got a little problem with a buff sussex hen, she is in moult and you can see a large bulge on her back end just below the vent, we're thinking she has an egg stuck as she ain't layed in 3 days and now seems not with it at all, I've got her in a covered cage with warm water underneath trying steam method, are we thinking and doing the right thing?

welcome-byc.gif
I'm sorry to hear about your hen. Is it possible to post a photo of this "lump"? Sometimes stuck eggs can cause an obvious lump, but in most cases things like that are because of internal laying, ascites (accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity), or an infection of some sort. There are many threads on BYC about internal laying, so I would recommend searching around a bit.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck with your hen!

Back
Top Bottom