hello i am not sure if this is the right place for this but,

stephie

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 5, 2012
I have about 10 hens and 2 roosters, 3 I bought from another lady and the rest I raised since they were born. I have had them for 2 years now. they have become like part of my family one of the hens even comes in the house or sits by the back door waiting for someone to open it. she is so cute. but I have just found out I have to move and I cant take them with me, I am very sad over this. I have to find them a new home and am so upset that maybe they will be upset. I have known I needed to give away one of the roosters for awhile now he is aggressive toward people even me at times but I can pick him up and hold him and he is gentle with me (unless I put him down and turn my back). I have given roosters away before and even though I was a bit sad I got over it cause they got good homes. but this is my whole flock that has to go and im so sad. do chickens feel sadness about this too? I know this sounds nuts but will they miss me to? I really hope they wont.

Yes they get sad when their friends are gone.

I believe they will miss you and miss their old home. I am sorry you must get rid of them but sometimes things like that must be done due to life circumstance.

Having taken a couple of chicken breaks over the years, I can say that they can never be replaced but the new ones you get later on (if you do) help to ease the pain of missing the old flock.

Do what you need to do, and just do your best.

my other idea was to give them to a friend and I can go see them once in awhile that might be a good idea and make it easier on them and me?

My chickens definitely can tell people apart, but beyond that; were they happy to see me after two days away, I doubt it
th.gif
. As long as you can find them a home with ample food and at least as much space as they are used to, they will adjust quickly after the initial stress of the move.
As for your aggressive roo, it honestly sounds like he may need to visit freezer camp, sometimes it is unavoidable.
hmm.png

I've been in your shoes......with many other critters too. I did rehome my animals. Regretted getting rid of one special hen. I did give her to a friend......who let her free range and she got eaten by a dog. :(

Honestly I think if you can't keep your one (or two) special ones, then maybe a friend isn't the way to go. I wish I hadn't learned the fate of my Fancy.

But having said that, I'm sure you will be sadder than the birds will. They will probably stress a bit over a move. And they would "miss" you in the sense that they wouldn't recognize thier new owners at first. But animals are super resilient. They will be ok. And you will too. :)

Back
Top Bottom