Hello Im a new member and have a quick question

Hallienicole

In the Brooder
May 9, 2019
First of all I'm really happy to have been able to join this group. I've gotten lots of chicken related questions answered because of this group.

I'm a stay at home momma, I have 2 children a 6 year old boy and 2 year old girl. We recently decided to add some chicks to the family. I had a four hen flock that we got at 2wks old at the end of February. Around mid April a predator got into our coop and we lost all four. It was devistating for me and the kids even my husband was upset by it and he doesn't usually get attached to pets. So a few days after we went back and got four more chicks australorp breed. Were currently in the process of building a more secure coop.
And this brings me to my question we also received eggs that we are hatching that are due on may 16th. The newly hatched chicks will be roughly around 5 weeks younger than the original 4 they are all the same breed. I'm not sure at what point its OK to let them start to mingle and get use to each other so when it's time to get them all in the coop together it won't be a big deal?

Hello and :welcome we are so glad to have you! :jumpy
I recommend introducing them at a few days old with lots of supervision. At 6 weeks, chicks start to establish a pecking order and I'd be concerned to introduce new hatchlings into a flock at that point in time.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frowGlad you joined.
It would not be a good idea to put day old chicks in with 5 week olds. Hopefully your coop will be finished in time for the 5 weeks olds and you can put them in there and brood the new chicks where the 5 week olds currently are. Good luck. Sorry for your losses.

It would not be a good idea to put day old chicks in with 5 week olds. Hopefully your coop will be finished in time for the 5 weeks olds and you can put them in there and brood the new chicks where the 5 week olds currently are. Good luck. Sorry for your losses.

X2

Do the see but not touch method... Put up a barrier between the small chicks and the older chicks so that they can see each other, but they cannot peck each other. you can usually do this by putting some type of fencing or whatnot in your brooder to separate them. Once the little ones get a bit older, you can introduce them. When you do this method it's so much easier to get them to integrate peacefully. There will be probably a few squables here and there, but it won't be as bad as just tossing them in.

100 % agreement with this. Welcome to BYC. Do a monitored/gradual integration when chicks are feathered, mobile, and no longer needing supplemental heating. A separate pen within the main pen allowing escape holes can be utilized along with space and hiding places.

Back
Top Bottom