Hello Im new here!

breezeflock

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2020
Hello, Im new here but have been reading posts and following forums for some months now and have found everyones advice so helpful! I had chickens growing up and at the beginning of the year after moving house decided to start a new flock, my husband bought me a lovely little coop and run for an early mothers day present, however we left it too long to put everything together and buy some chickens as Covid struck the world and we went into Lockdown. To help distract us over lockdown I ordered some hatching eggs on ebay and used our old incubator from 10 years ago (used to hatch ducklings) and successfully hatched 15 hybrid babies! It was the perfect distraction and even though we ended up with a terrible ratio of hens to cockerels (3 hens and 12 cockerels) I loved the whole experience, since then we have had three positively horrendous hatching's with our incubator and im happy to step down from that role!
I now have a whole field and coop dedicated to the cockerels (im trying desperately to find them new homes but so far have only had offers from less then savoury sorts who want them for practise for their game birds for fighting....ummm definitely not!) At the moment they are living quite happily although it is all a little loud over there.
I have a field and converted stable with enclosure dedicated to my two favourite cockerels and three hens from my first incubator hatch and have recently added three beautiful POL Faverolles who are yet to lay but they are only 18 weeks old. Any idea when I can maybe expect the first few eggs, my other three hens in there are two bantam hybrids and a rhode island red hybrid.
I also purchased 3 welsummer and 3 legbar pullets at a day old who are now 5 weeks old, and 4 week old chicks (one lavender araucana, one black copper marans, one olive egger and one cream legbar pullet)
I also have a 7 year old pair of bantam hybrids that live in the garden who are enjoying their golden years....although im not sure how long they might live for! He is the most aggressive cockerel but everyone is strangely attached to him?? Im not but i seem to get most of his aggression....is it because i remove the eggs?? who knows!
Im longing for the days I start being able to collect some eggs, and can hopefully rehome some cockerels but for now i will happily take care of my 30 chickens and only collect my one egg laid occasionally by my old bantam gal.

Welcome :frow . Sounds like you have substantial flock started already.

We also waited too long to start our flock. We had planned on it last year but life got in the way and we put it off until this spring, just as Covid hit. We still have not been able to get the fencing we want to make a proper run. (right now it is a patchwork of whatever materials I could find and only half the size of our plans) I didn't hatch any eggs, but like you I did get some day olds. It has been fun watching them grow. :love

We would love to see some pictures of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom