Hello! I'm so excited to get started

HRHDi

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
Fairfax, VT
I've been lurking about for a couple months and everything has fallen into place and I can start doing serious research and prep to start my own flock.

My husband and I are moving from the Dallas, TX area to Fairfax,VT. We are getting a bit of acreage and plan to - slowly - start a small hobby farm. My first step is to get chickens in the spring, possibly followed by rabbits.

I was raised on a farm in Montana, but that's been awhile and I have lots of things to re-learn or learn for the first time since the adults took care of lots of things. I have been known to rush into things and end up making things harder and take more time. Luckily, there will be 4-5 months of forced research before I can even get any chicks.

I know this is going to be work, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Diana

Welcome.
It's not rocket science and growing up on a farm should make things a little more intuitive than for someone that never had any contact with animals.
Eliminate most of the work by making things convenient. Storage for supplies and feed either near or in the coop. Water and electric near or at the coop. A second coop or housing away from the other to quarantine sick, injured and new birds.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
The Learning Center will give you lots of good tips. Good luck with the move and your farm!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I'm trying to go slowly with all of this since I have 5-6 months before I can actually get the birdies. But I'm a little afraid that all of the time I need to research and prepare is going to get chewed up by getting settled in a new place and learning the area. I know the time's gong to go fast.

Back
Top Bottom