Hello, input and advise needed

Sybadd

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 26, 2013
Hello I just joined the site

I am picking up a pair of Sussex hens this weekend from a friend of a friend.

When I get some time I will build them a nice large coop but as it's a bit last minute here's what I have ... (Ps sorry I think in metric)

A roughly 2meter by 1.5 meter enclosure made from shipping pallets inside I have put a wooden box raised of the ground for their nesting.

This would be their main home as we live in the country an foxes/cats are abundant however I spend a good 2 to 3 hours a day in the garden in winter as well as summer an wound let them out to free range then we have a worm rich 600m2 garden.

For feeding I would like to avoid buying so here's what I have in mind

1) As I said above our ground is very worm rich, I also have a good sizes worm composting system going plus 3 compost heaps that I was thinking of "passing through" the checked enclosure as I am lead to believe that hens are very good at digging turning and breaking up compost to find goodies in it.

2) we are a familie of 4 so produce a fair amount of kitchen scraps a day. Not that we waste food but there's plenty of carrot tops, fruit cores, pastry trimmings, bread ends etc.

3) I make my own ale with the AG method which means each week I have 3 to 6 kg of brewers grains plus I make my own malt and that has its left overs too.

So what are your thought please

Thank you

Have you got a photo of your enclosure? When I try and picture it doesn't seem very predator proof so wondering what it actually looks like.

As for the not buying feed I'd sort of do it differently. I would buy feed but then I'd still give the other stuff which will cut down how much feed they eat but still enable them to eat it if they aren't getting enough from the other sources. They will self regulate so they won't eat it unless they need it but think you should have it there in case they do need it. If that makes sense?

Oh and you need a calcium source so some shell grit or such or some people grind up the shells and feed them back to them.

Last edited:
Welcome. +1 regarding giving them feed and fresh veggies on the side

There will be times when strong storms will dominate the day and the chickens will want to stay in the coop/run. A feeder in the coop/run with dry chicken feed is the way to go to keep them healthy. Not sure of your location but scavenging for insects/worms during the Winter in northern regions is sparse at best.

Hi all

Here it is. My temporary chicken coop.

I will build something more impressive when I have the time.

Back
Top Bottom